webdr

A few general wireless questions

Hi, new to the forum.

Im ready to purchase my 1st FPV system and I have a few questions.

The plane Im using is an 80" piper cub electric.

2.4ghz Futaba radio.

Can someone explain is simple terms what the difference is between 900mhz and 5.8ghz?

Aside from legality in the US, what are the pros and cons of both?

Also, what is the difference between 250mw and 500mw? Which one do I want?

Lastly, what exactially does a diversity controller do? Why would I want one?

I plan on purchasing from RangeVideo if I buy the 900mhz

or Future Hobbies if I buy the 5.8ghz.

Thanks

matt

BTW, heres a video I made with the cub and a GoPro motorsports hero wide angle

http://www.gunnphotoservices.com

Edited by webdr

Hi Matt - Enjoyed the video! There's a lot of experts in here who can give you far more detailed advice than I can, but for what it's worth I'll give you my feedback after having spent some significant "trial and error" dollars over the past year on FPV flying and equipment.

The 5.8ghz stuff is newer and more expensive, which made me think it must be better. I currently have two Yellowjacket Pro diversity receivers that cost close to $600 each, plus three of the matching Stinger transmitters at around $250 each. After playing with them for several months I've gone back to 900mhz equipment because it works better FOR ME. I fly in fairly populated areas and I get better reception with 900mhz stuff. All of it is on channel 1 (910mhz) because that's the only legal 900 band in the USA. One drawback to the 900mhz is that the patch antennas are double the size of the 5.8mhz antennas, but that's not really all that big a deal FOR ME. My goal has been to get a clean signal for up to a mile flying at about 400 feet altitude. I'm not opposed to paying for excellent equipment, as long as it's worth it and does the job as advertised. I've experimented with FunJets, EasyStars, Twinjets, and also a Trex 500 heli.

I've been told that a 250mw tx is all that should be needed for a good signal up to about a half mile, but I've found that 500mw rx's work better FOR ME. The 1000mw works well too, but it gets a bit warm and drains the battery faster.

Diversity receivers are a GOOD thing, whether built-in like on the YellowJackets, or as in a separate piece of equipment like the Oracle units. In MY OPINION the Oracles are a good value for the dollar.

Bottom line, I still haven't got a system that I'm totally happy with, or even very close for that matter, but I have learned a few things! If you find the perfect combination be sure and let me know! I'm still trying to find the time to play with two tx on the same aircraft, each on a different frequency to see what I can learn from that. I'd record them individually at first and they run them to a diversity receiver to see if getting the best of both worlds made a significant difference.

Corey

Hi Matt - Enjoyed the video! There's a lot of experts in here who can give you far more detailed advice than I can, but for what it's worth I'll give you my feedback after having spent some significant "trial and error" dollars over the past year on FPV flying and equipment.

The 5.8ghz stuff is newer and more expensive, which made me think it must be better. I currently have two Yellowjacket Pro diversity receivers that cost close to $600 each, plus three of the matching Stinger transmitters at around $250 each. After playing with them for several months I've gone back to 900mhz equipment because it works better FOR ME. I fly in fairly populated areas and I get better reception with 900mhz stuff. All of it is on channel 1 (910mhz) because that's the only legal 900 band in the USA. One drawback to the 900mhz is that the patch antennas are double the size of the 5.8mhz antennas, but that's not really all that big a deal FOR ME. My goal has been to get a clean signal for up to a mile flying at about 400 feet altitude. I'm not opposed to paying for excellent equipment, as long as it's worth it and does the job as advertised. I've experimented with FunJets, EasyStars, Twinjets, and also a Trex 500 heli.

I've been told that a 250mw tx is all that should be needed for a good signal up to about a half mile, but I've found that 500mw rx's work better FOR ME. The 1000mw works well too, but it gets a bit warm and drains the battery faster.

Diversity receivers are a GOOD thing, whether built-in like on the YellowJackets, or as in a separate piece of equipment like the Oracle units. In MY OPINION the Oracles are a good value for the dollar.

Bottom line, I still haven't got a system that I'm totally happy with, or even very close for that matter, but I have learned a few things! If you find the perfect combination be sure and let me know! I'm still trying to find the time to play with two tx on the same aircraft, each on a different frequency to see what I can learn from that. I'd record them individually at first and they run them to a diversity receiver to see if getting the best of both worlds made a significant difference.

Corey

Thanks Corey,

I think Im going to go with a 900mhz for my 1st system because, as you stated, the 5.8ghz is an expensive investment for a newbie such as myself.

So we have established that the oracle diversity receiver is a good thing, but what does it do? Do I still need a standard 900mhz receiver as well as the diversity? Am I using only one transmitter in the plane? Im still on the fence as to what Im getting better with a diversity receiver.

Matt

One thing you could do is to use 72mhz system for flying the plane (better reliable range IMO) and 2.4 ghz FPV equipment. There's a lot more 2.4 inexpensive & reliable Tx & Rx FPV systems available for a beginner to get his feet wet..

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Thanks Corey,

I think Im going to go with a 900mhz for my 1st system because, as you stated, the 5.8ghz is an expensive investment for a newbie such as myself.

So we have established that the oracle diversity receiver is a good thing, but what does it do? Do I still need a standard 900mhz receiver as well as the diversity? Am I using only one transmitter in the plane? Im still on the fence as to what Im getting better with a diversity receiver.

Matt

Regarding what a diversity receiver does... You need to have at least TWO receivers and two antennas if you use diversity, but you use just one tx on the aircraft. The diversity unit takes the two input signals, decides which one is best, and then outputs only the strongest signal to whatever you are using to view or record the video. I think it does it something like 500 times a second so it's visually seamless. I've read that it can make a real difference in the clarity of the reception, even if the two antennas are less than a foot apart, and in MY EXPERIENCE it does improve things significantly. Both the Yellowjacket and the Oracle units come with pretty good instructions and the hook-up is very straightforward.

Corey