erleellis

automated high quality still camera

We are trying to find a way to take high quality (>=2MP) still pictures at relatively high frequencies (1 or 2 per second, on a timer) using a lightweight digital camera mounted on a relatively small RC plane.

We are now using a Hobbico Sky Fly 2, which can support a total payload of about 200 g (we think!). We could go to a somewhat larger model, but not too much.

Any advice on this would be VERY highly appreciated and acknowledged!

This is for an ecological research project.

Thanks!

-Erle

Umm... few suggestions. I would go with another plane. Try multiplex easyglider(if you still want prop on top, you can make a mount and still do so like plenty of others), this will have a much better wing loading than that plane allowing for slower flight and also takes real weight(I'm not sure I would stick 200g on that plane, have you tried it? I think it would probably require a stronger motorif you attempted so)

There's a couple other nice foam planes good for load, multiplex twinstar etc. I like the foam because it's mucho safer, does the job and repairing even extreme breaks takes a few minutes unless you need to boil the foam.

As for the camera... you could go to some store and test out in the store. Easiest and simple is just set the camera to multiple shots and hold the button, if it continues to shoot after say 20 shots or more, then you've found what your looking for. Essentially when your ready to go, jam the photo switch on some how and stick in plane.

Alot of cameras will shoot multiples, then need some time to clear the cache to the memory card, so they can do only so many shots. The other option is to either make a timer switch with a 555 timer or buy one for aerail photograpy(I think the buying option has a 4 sec delay)

Hope info helps.

Ivan.

ah.. and probably sony's new HD... geez can't remember the model but it's like 30g or so... would fit on ur current plane i think. It's new but spensive, i think around 200 bucks.

Why not use a video camera then pick out the frames you want?

Can you elaborate on what kind of images you are trying to capture?

Perhaps a tethered balloon would suit your purpose?

This would allow you much more payload, which might now include a pan/tilt system to aim the camera.

Your camera options would also increase exponentially as compared to fixed wing aircraft.

Just a thought,

Tom