Sign in to follow this  
DeadFox

Question on folding over RG-174 coax sheild..

Step A: Using a 8 inch long piece of RG-174 or 178 coax cable, strip away two inches of outer jacket from one end. Do not damage the shield!

Step B: Carefully push the shield down. Avoid unraveling the shield's braid as you do so.

Step C: Continue pushing it down. It will now start to "turtleneck" over the coax's jacket.

I have tried this over and over- can't get the stuff to 'turtle neck' over itself.. any tips? I can get it to loosen up and am able to push it into a 'scrunch', but it just won't overlap itself!

Thanks for any tips!!

It's one of those things that, once you do it, you wonder what all the fuss was.

You need to see the demo video Yb2normal created. I don't have the link -- maybe he will pop in and help out.

"It's one of those things that, once you do it, you wonder what all the fuss was."

I am also still IN the "all the fuss" stage. :(

I probably went thourgh 4 feet of rg-174 u last night trying to make it fold over itself. When I get to the 'step 3' point it seems to just turn into a mass and will not move. I have made it turtle neck a fraction of an inch on the covering and then it stops. I can't find the help you mentioned on ybnormal's site.

HELP

....and thanks ahead of time....

I just did my first scrunch on RG174

1. strip back the outer sleeve

2. start the scruch NEAR to the base end

That works a treat

If you scrunch from the far end it wont go

Guest Lemming

I notice that RG-174 comes up in several threads here....has anyone ever used RG-316?

A few years ago I was at a job that required me to make literally THOUSANDS of coax cables over 4 years time. Well, coax, twinax, cat5, DB9/15/25/37, etc etc etc.

I personally love the double-shielded coax cables, but it can get really expensive and hard to buy in small lengths....and most people can't afford whole spools of the good stuff.

Also, are people using good connectors? Tyco, Amp, Amphenol type stuff? I forget which company Tyco bought out...whether it was Amp or Amphenol. If it weren't so late and feeling so lazy, I'd go to Newark's website and refresh my memory