Sign in to follow this  
Snaydher

DX6i improve range

Try making a clip on reflector, it will give you a good increase in range and you dont need to mod the radio.

Terry

You'd be much better off with one like this. Why radiate power or pick up noise behind you.

http://www.rc-cam.com/gp_patch.htm

Thanks W3FJW...,

But it's a directional antenna's patch, i think it's better for video transmission... i don't like to loss my radio (RC) signal when i fly out of visage line, right?

Edited by Snaydher

Try making a clip on reflector, it will give you a good increase in range and you dont need to mod the radio.

Terry

Thanks Terry, can you explain better this?

But it's a directional antenna's patch, i think it's better for video transmission... i don't like to loss my radio (RC) signal when i fly out of visage line, right?

Every antenna you could use to improve your range (which has a higher gain than the stock whip) WILL have some form of directivity resulting in uneven coverage and in the need to keep the plane in a certain area or follow it with the antenna. That also counts for the antenna you linked, its radiation pattern is a pretty narrow "doughnut". So when held vertical, while it does radiate all around you, it would require you to fly not more than ~10-15° above horizon to see an improvement from your current antenna.

Thanks W3FJW...,

OOps sorry, didn't read close enough. And as Kilrah said, the directivity of the signal when tha antenna is held vertically would probably be about 12 to 15 degrees above the horizon and we never make sure our antennas are vertical do we. They are more likely to be held at a 45 to 60 degree angle even if adjustable and so would be flying in the cone or area of least radiation of the antenna at least part of the time.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron