jtprouty

Pan/tilt projects?

Hi All,

I'm interested in trying to make a gyro stabilized pan/tilt system for my camera. Does anyone know of any projects out there or web pages with how-tos? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Happy flying,

Jim Prouty

I know of someone who played around with using CSM 540 gyros whiich had some some promising results. These gyros are programmable via your PC and she played around with the parameters till she got the control she wanted(on a Bergen Observer).

I am working on my main project in mechatronics at the moment. I am going to use the ADXL202 accelerometer as a dual axis tilt sensor. I guess this component can be used for pan/tilt applications too. (I use the Infineon C167 in the assignment, but I am thinking of using a PIC later to use it in my RPV).

Anyone tried the ADXL202?

The limit on this accelerometer is +-2g, so it will not be usable as a g-measuring device in a plane, but it would be neath to find some similar chip that can measure, say +-9g.

but it would be neath to find some similar chip that can measure, say +-9g.

I've ordered ADXL250 samples, these are +/-50g sensors that can be downscaled to +/-25 for better accuracy with smaller signals. Analog devices also

Haven't done anything yet with them though.

Anyone tried the ADXL202?

Rather than follow the mainstream and use the Analog Devices ADXL202 accelerometer IC, I tried the Memsic MXD2125 part. I just liked the weird technology it was using.

It was for roll and pitch detection on my head-tracker project. The MXD2125 worked great, but the compass based yaw sensing was a bust. I am still waiting for something to come along, that I like, to fix that part.

For pan & tilt stabilization on a model airplane, I think the accelerometer method would impose more challenges than necessary. It is difficult to manage the angular static acceleration from the G-forces (moving models are tough environments). For the headtracker they were great, but if I had to start over I would use the Co-Pilot IR technology instead. Would do the same thing, but be immune from unexpected head movement.

Basic details to the semi-retired HeadTrack-R are found here: http://groups.msn.com/rccam/general.msnw?a...ID_Message=6106

Anyone have any recommendations for IC rate gyros? I've checked out the Analog Devices ADXRS's and they are kind of expensive and impossible to work with for the hobbyist. I've seen some 4 pin rate gyros made by NEC-Tokin but i can't find and distributors in the U.S. nor can I find much data about them... anyone know anything more about the Tokin gyros or perhaps where to get some? Or if you can recommend another rate gyro...

thanks!

-matt

I'm not sure, but I think Tokin gyro sensors are about $20 from these folks: http://www.bravoelectro.com/html/tkse03.html

Gyration sells their dual axis gyro. Info & Data sheets: http://www.gyration.com/us/tech/technology.htm

Old GyroPoint mice use the ENC-05E. Should be able to buy those on eBay for under $20 dollars.

I found Murata sensors in the low-cost GWS heli gyros I use for my headtracker. Model is ENC-03J. I found the address for the representative in my country, and they say the price goes around 30$/pc.

The sensor works well for its price, but of course the ADXRS must be another thing. Unfortunately no samples available like for ADXL's...

http://search.murata.co.jp/Ceramy/owa/CATA...-03J&sHnTyp=NEW

I got my tokin CG-L43Z today from Bravo and tested it, it seems to work "OK" it's more sensitive in one direction than the other, and the output definitely needs to be amplified. I'm starting to wonder how it compares to the Analog Devices ones, or some of the RC gyros out there.

Thanks for the help!

-matt

I made the post below in the rc-cam projects forum but thought i would add it hear to see if anyone has some other ideas.

I am presently using rc servos modified for 360 rotation (with the pot disconnected)on a 3 axis camera mount. I have experimented with using a heading hold gyro (with some success on the pan axis only) to stablize the mount which is on a tethered helium blimp that swings around a little. the problem I run into is that if i turn up the gain past next to nothing i get an oscillation.

Does pancam only work with the pot hooked up?

would pancam work with a sail servo that does 3 rotations?

would pancam address any of the problems im having with the shakes using a heading hold gyro on my camera mount?

I would love to get my camera mount set up with 3 heading hold gyros so that if im not touching the sticks the camera will hold its attitude and heading. I think this would be useful to alot of people especially kite aerial photographers. I would appreciate any light anyone can shed on this.

Thanks,

Chris Blake