garris2

Can I drill holes in a 900MHz Patch antenna?

I want to mount a 900MHz Rx an the back of my Patch antenna to be used in a Pan / Tilt setup, can I drill some small holes in the rim of the patch without affecting is performance?

I'm only talking about the very edge of the antenna and only about 2 or 3 holes as indicated by red in the attachement.

Then I'll use some nylon bolts to attach the Rx.

thanks Geoff

post-4774-125268376276_thumb.png

Edited by garris2

There is nothing in the rim, so carefully drilling it should not harm anything. However, I would recommend using double sided tape or Velcro.

However, the real question is: Will mounting a bunch of stuff on the back of the L-Com patch antenna cause any problems?

I think the safest thing to do is to first try a long range test without the hardware mounted on the back. Then immediately land and then repeat the test with the stuff mounted. Try to do both tests on the same day at the same location. Otherwise, the results will be meaningless.

There is nothing in the rim, so carefully drilling it should not harm anything. However, I would recommend using double sided tape or Velcro.

However, the real question is: Will mounting a bunch of stuff on the back of the L-Com patch antenna cause any problems?

I think the safest thing to do is to first try a long range test without the hardware mounted on the back. Then immediately land and then repeat the test with the stuff mounted. Try to do both tests on the same day at the same location. Otherwise, the results will be meaningless.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.