lowtek

Goggles for Glasses

Does anyone out there wear glasses and goggles?

Do any of the current goggles fit over glasses? Most seem a tight fit around the face. I remember seeing a set that had a single viewer a little to the side of the right eye. Something like that might work or be adaptable to ski goggles. I mostly fly gliders and wear ski goggles over my regular glasses. Makes passes across the face of the sun a lot easier.

OR

Can you fly just using a small monitor?

The goggle issue is kind of a make or break for trying FPV flying.

RichK

I do FPV with glasses. Glasses work with most goggles (e.g. the reasonably-priced Rvision goggles from rangevideo.com). The apparent angular field of view is often a little reduced, but nothing to worry about.

The main problem is that glasses make it harder to keep the whole lot 'light tight', both due to the greater separation of the goggles from the face, and the gap created between any goggle lightshades and the face by the arms of the glasses.

I've fitted a bit of lightproof cloth around the supplied goggles & their arms. Tape it around the goggles, then take some scissors to it until it only covers the bits that let the light in - in practice, about an inch all around. With some experimentation, you'll get an arrangement you can tuck it into place until all incident light is eliminated - especially those annoying shafts of light that come from the base of your nose, and reflections from the region of your ears.

Some people just don't worry about this. Others wear their goggles with a lightweight cloth bag over their head. You could put the lenses from some old glasses into your goggles, although you'll be a bit blind just after you take them off. Some try all this, hate it, and look at a large screen TV in the field, although this doesn't work well with head movement sensors.

(Little viewer to the right of your eye? I've tried the 'Eyetop'; I found it hopeless, the image quality was poor and my brain could make nothing of the info when I was trying to fly.)

Don't let your glasses put you off trying FPV!

Thanks for input; I've been getting a lot from RCGroups. I think I'll wear a sack over my head and stumble around like Elephant Man.

I do FPV with glasses. Glasses work with most goggles (e.g. the reasonably-priced Rvision goggles from rangevideo.com). The apparent angular field of view is often a little reduced, but nothing to worry about.

The main problem is that glasses make it harder to keep the whole lot 'light tight', both due to the greater separation of the goggles from the face, and the gap created between any goggle lightshades and the face by the arms of the glasses.

I've fitted a bit of lightproof cloth around the supplied goggles & their arms. Tape it around the goggles, then take some scissors to it until it only covers the bits that let the light in - in practice, about an inch all around. With some experimentation, you'll get an arrangement you can tuck it into place until all incident light is eliminated - especially those annoying shafts of light that come from the base of your nose, and reflections from the region of your ears.

Some people just don't worry about this. Others wear their goggles with a lightweight cloth bag over their head. You could put the lenses from some old glasses into your goggles, although you'll be a bit blind just after you take them off. Some try all this, hate it, and look at a large screen TV in the field, although this doesn't work well with head movement sensors.

(Little viewer to the right of your eye? I've tried the 'Eyetop'; I found it hopeless, the image quality was poor and my brain could make nothing of the info when I was trying to fly.)

Don't let your glasses put you off trying FPV!