Sign in to follow this  
headhunter23

Going on trip to St Maartens, want to condense equipment

I'm sure this is a bad idea, something to do with not enough space between equipment or rf stuff interfering with each other but will ask anyways. The goal is to make fpv ground station as portable as possible, going on a trip and more portable the better. Current setup is 2 900mhz rx's, diversity, googles and DX7 remote. Plus a batt or two. All needs to fit in a soft case that I'll make. The question is the RX's and the diversity.

Just for fun, I cracked the diversity open, same with the one rx. Surprisingly I think I can fit both RX's directly inside the diversity with or without the metal exterior case(Is this shielding?) The diversity box is made out of plastic, so I can only assume that interference isn't an issue?

Ideas, explanations on best to go about this etc are welcome.

Yes I know more space between antenna's would be better, but would this still work generally well?

Thanks in advance.

Ivan.

post-4405-125653518943_thumb.jpg

Edited by headhunter23

I think it is a good idea to leave all the metal covers on the receivers to provide adequate shielding.

Actually mr rc, if I were to remake one of the boxes for the rx's, does the gauge matter?

Also what specifically needs to be shielded, the board or the silver box that then antenna connects to?

Edit point:

Never mind, figured it out, one rx goes inside the diversity, the other will be Velcro'd to the top that way it can be moved when required. Together they are the proper height to add protection for the remote. Will post some photos.

Ivan.

Here's dimensions without foam added... 15.5x8x3.5. I'm thinking an inch o foam on each side. So +2" for all dimensions. Hopefully the thing will survive the darn airplane suitcase guys! :huh:

Edited by headhunter23

I had a slightly more restrained version, cutting up the diversity case - see here . Two typical receivers just about fit on top, although I ended up (for a while) putting them next to it, and using the extra space for a battery & cables, in a tiny zip-up case.

(I ended up putting my 'ground station' in a rather boring aluminium flight case, as:

1. The more compact version put all the cables under stress, occasionally suffering electrical disconnections... which aren't good in FPV...

2. I re-packaged it all to have 10cm cables from aerial to receiver, then long A/V/power cables to the diversity. It's improved range no end, and sets up in seconds, but I need to carry all this including a tripod)

Very cool, glad to hear it works, I was a little worried about everything so close together. I can't believe its a 1/4in too long, otherwise I would have put both directly inside the diversity, with zero issues then!

As for the wires, the one is still going inside the case and is being directly soldiered to the diversity. The second that sits on top of the diversity is a little more tricky. Will have it done today and post picks.

if it only needed 1/4" somebody would be getting the dremel / jigsaw treatment! :D im building my nerd box out of one of those boring silver tool cases as well. been considering replacing the "lid" side panel with a fabricated patch antenna panel. stretch a t-shirt over the new panel, hit it with some fiberglass resin, sand & paint and it'll look purdy again. i think i can either angle the lid towards the flight area or make the lid detachable and angle it with a pair of folding legs. having everything as connected as possible for the shortest setups and teardowns is the goal. anywho, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

couldn't you just throw it all in a box and fed-ex it? cheers!

-sj

<_< I hate putting stuff off... yet do it all the time. :huh:

The thing is all soldiered together, but now I have to trim the edges of the top rx, cut the plastic post on one side of the diversity and drill some holes for this fancy new hinge I bought. Am cutting wings currently hope to do rest today. Pics will come eventually. :P

Well she's pretty much done, I think I want to make a usb outlet in the diversity box to power my lipo for googles so I don't need a laptop to charge it, etc.

But now I'm having concerns, mostly about the flight to st maartens. I'm thinking security either way is going to be more and more of an issue with some of the custom mods to the video system. Ummm... what do you guys think? Think it would make it through both ways?

post-4405-125767039074_thumb.jpg