Hi,

I have been flying rc aircraft for many years on and off and fancy a stab at FPV. For me since I have expereince with PCB production and access to the kit (at work) the Airwave modules from active-robots fit the bill. It seems many here have done similarly.

I want to go with 5.8ghz video mainly because of wifi in my area and my Spektrum kit (upgraded before FPV dream was hatched so no 35mhz kit left anymore - all sold!) and finding all the components to put a tx and rx together has been easy except for dedicted 5.8ghz antennas.

I have seen that others have mentioned using 1/4 wave wire and 1/2 wave whip, coax dipoles or even diy patches but to get started i felt some simple omni rubber ducks on sma's might be best, but where to get them from in the UK? Anyone know any suppliers or can 2.4ghz omnis be used/modified?

All in all at the moment I'm not expecting or even hoping for massive range. If I get a few hundred metres from what I put together I will be chuffed so what do you suggest for the antennas at this point...

Also any tips regarding putting together these modules will be appreciated!

Cheers,

Sam

Ok, I have found this one available in the uk. MS Distribution 5.8ghz Antenna. However, the gain is 5dbi. Can anyone in the know tell me if the gain on this is likely to be too high (i.e. too directional for general non tracked antena use) as the patch antenna for these modules I believe is only 8dbi and has quite a narrow band.

Cheers,

Sam

If your goal is to purchase the antenna in your country then just check the shops that sell WiFi antennas. The 5dBi model you mentioned does not list any performance specs, so I would say it is a gamble.

Well if there is nowhere in the uk that does the correct type i think i will order them from electronicarc.com (ElectronicaRC.com) as they do omni rubber ducks for 5.8ghz there. I have searched wifi vendors websites and come up with nothing as it appears 5.8ghz is fairly fresh in the uk at the moment.

Has anyone had any luck with diy antennas or are simple omni rubber ducks a safer way to go (i'm willing to experiemtn...all part of the fun!)?

Cheers,

Sam

@ Sam,

Have you had any luck on antennas?

I am also looking at 5.8GHz as I have several models on 2.4GHz and don't want to 'go back' to 35MHz (even though I still have the Tx's & Rx's)

I love dabbling and have seen the Airwave modules from active-robots and am quite happy to make my own aerials for Tx and Rx.

For the Tx, I'd go with a single wire direct from the Tx module, avoiding any cabling/connector losses.

For Rx, a panel or bi-quad won't be difficult to homebrew, initially with the antenna direct to the Rx.

If you are into PCB production, I'd be interested as most of my development stuff is 'dead bug' style !

Nigel.

I'm not sure that that 5dBi aerial is 5dBi but its cheap enough to try anyway. You may well find that the aerial case can be cut down a bit to make life a bit easier.

I have had good results by adding a simple reflector behind this type of aerial when used on the RX side.

See here

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1326

Terry

Edited by Terry

I had read your article with interest Terry.

Have you experience of 2.4 gig as well as 5.8? If so, how do you find 5.8GHz?

I'm at the stage of making a decision on which way to go, but don't really want to abandon my 2.4 Spektrum gear and go 'back' to my Futaba 35MHz gear.

I'm quite happy making gear and experimenting, although there's not much info on 5.8 compared to 2.4.

I'm more used to working with antennas with wavelengths measured in metres, not millimetres!

Simple to make, high gain Rx antenna - easy to scale to 5.8 gig.

http://www.wlan.org.uk/simple_double_quad.gif

I'm just down the road from you in Tiverton.

Nigel.