Sign in to follow this  
Vrflyer

Two patchs with diversity

I use two 900mhz patch antennas with a diversity on ground. What is the minimum spacing I must kept between them, can they touch togheter ?

Are they both pointing in the same direction or angled apart to cover more sky ?

If the same direction for proper diversity I would space them as far apart as practical.

Terry

I use a special setup with two 900mhz patchs for 3D video, antennas are pointing in the same direction. The easystar is equip with two cameras and two tx set on differents channels. Two receivers on differents channels receive the two pictures and send them to each of my eye using my modified goggle.

But I also use the same two patchs with diversity, this time I angle them to cover more sky. With my other planes equip with only one cam, I set the two receivers on the same channel and use the diversity to pick up the best signal. The video picture is send to my two eyes of my modified goggle.

As explain in another thread, I can also point the two patch in the same direction and use a plane with one tx and set the two receivers on the same channel. I send each of the receiver picture to one of my eye. That allow me to compare both receivers and antennas performance in real time. I can compare one antenna with another brand, or compare two receivers performance. That will be a perfect setup to evaluate to sawtoth modification for 900mhz receiver, I got the IF filter bought at DPCAV, but never installed it. I got a spare receiver now to try it and Daemon video.

It will be a more robust design and will take less space in my car, this is why I would like to install them the minimal distance possible.

Of course, I can also make two arms that I will open at the field for the two antennas, but if it possible to install them very close in my particular application, why not doing it ?

For what you are doing I would say mount them close together. Both the 3D and the more sky option will not see and advantage.Your comparing receivers will also be better if they are mounted close.

Terry