Mr.RC-Cam

5.8GHz / 500mW Wireless A/V System:

I'm going 5.8 everywhere for video I ordered some FRSky 2.4GHz R/C gear that I hope will work fine to replace the bulky LRS... so in a month or so I should be fully operational again, with a couple of fun new planes to equip

After you've had some time with the FRSky please share your experience. Not that I need another R/C system, but I am at a point where a low cost 9-CH with PPM-Sum would be convenient.

- Thomas

with PPM-Sum

That's what tempted me. The tiny 4CH receiver that can be switched to output PPM and RSSI sure looks nice.

I have a friend who told me he didn't manage to make his X3D-BL quad (same as mine) work with it, but hasn't investigated much. We'll see... anyway, $125 for a TX module (I took the DIY version to integrate in my Graupner MX16 that serves as "cheapo carry everywhere" TX) and 4 receivers is no big loss if it doesn't do it.

In terms of performance I've seen some say they had problems at short distances, as well as some flying 4km with them. So we'll see, but it's pretty much the same with everything it seems. Even my LRS managed to screw up at 100m distance once.

Edited by Kilrah

"Even my LRS managed to screw up at 100m distance once."

Yep! I have never had a system that didnt screw up just once, normally only once and just never find out why....

Terry

The old:

I know, this is an old discussion (circa 2010). But I just have to comment on how the attitude towards 5.8GHz FPV has made a complete 180 turn around. You see, it wasn't that long ago that anyone asking about 5.8GHz video for FPV was laughed at. The popular opinion was that it was not a viable solution for our hobby. Instead, all anyone would consider at the time were the 900MHz-1.3GHz choices (with some stray users still hyping 2.4GHz).

This discussion's 2010 experiment hinted that the anti-5.8GHz mindset was naive and narrow minded. Especially since not all FPV'ers are interested in 20km+ flights. For sure, I'm glad some of us didn't listen and instead blazed ahead with 5.8GHz video.

The new:

From my observations the mass movement towards 5.8GHz video began a couple years ago when multirotor model prices plummeted and ready to fly solutions emerged. Those little flying machines are ideal platforms for 5.8GHz FPV. Affordable wireless video components, nifty circular polarized antennas, improved vRx sensitivity, and the overall drone (the d-word) madness has fueled 5.8GHz FPV. Of course this frequency is not for everyone, but it's certainly not the hideous monster that it was said to be. :)

For me and others, 5.8GHz was functional before CP antennas came onto the scene. This was back when others claimed that 5.8GHz would never work well for FPV video. But I agree that the 5.8GHz performance improvements from CP antennas and vRx sensitivity has been a game changer.

As far as I can tell your antenna experiments with OMM (and quickly followed by ibcrazy) marked the beginning of the development of CP solutions for FPV. I doubt modern FPV'ers understand how much creative work was necessary by the early innovators. The hardest work that some FPV'ers face today is deciding which supplier to order from. :)

I still dont use CP for long flights with my plane but it is better for close in flying with the quad.

Terry

Looking back, it seems that the main reluctance towards 5.8GHz video was mostly due to fear-of-the-unknown. Despite all the negative comments about it that were common a few years ago, 5.8GHz FPV has shown to be a nice solution, especially for the small models that I like to fly.

This same fear-of-the-unknown has come up again in the discussions about digital FPV video. I keep hearing about how it will never be useful due to the technical issues (cost, latency, frame-rate, weak signal behavior, etc). But I have a hunch that in time we will see this new technology become mainstream in our application. Like our pondering about this 4 year old thread, let's wait a couple years then revisit such predictions of doom on the future of digital FPV video. :)

If I remember right you must have been the first to explore 5.8ghz for FPV? I certainly remember testing your 5.8 kit which showed promise early on for me as by that time 2.4Ghz had already become unusable due to wifi, the problems being down to dodgy Airwave modules and not the frequency.

As you say digital will be the next big step, Im sure it will be the system to use in a couple of years!

Terry

Like you, in the early days I was experiencing better FPV performance on my 5.8G than I did on 2.4G. It was frustrating to see all the negative chatter about how 5.8G was a bad frequency choice when it worked well for my park field flights.

Soon we will get to see an example of digital FPV video when DJI releases their Lightbridge system. But we need to be patient with this new stuff since it is just the beginning and it takes time to iron out the wrinkles. Within 5 years I expect there will be affordable digital video systems with very good performance. However, analog video won't go away because rock bottom prices for it will continue to be attractive to some users. So there will be something for everyone.

It's exciting to see 5.8GHz FPV become increasingly popular. What a difference a couple of years makes! Seems like yesterday that it was said to be unusable for our hobby.

But even today FPV'ers are told that 5.8GHz system can't work if you fly behind trees. This seems to be a hard "fact" if you read the buzz in the FPV forums. But watch this video all the way to the end and then form your own opinion.

Regarding 5.8GHz *digital* FPV video, the new DJI Lightbridge definitely looks promising:

No need to work for this stuff any more just sit back and the Chinese will bring it to us.

Terry

No need to work for this stuff any more just sit back and the Chinese will bring it to us.

A year later-- still true, more than ever. In a way the availability is wonderful, but its terribly sad that "we've" lost the technical edge. Who knows what the future will hold...

--Bill