Hi there.

Anyone out there using X500 or X600s (or anything else that doesn't use GPS), having loss of control problems at height?

The symptom is sudden loss of ability to recover back to a hover from forward/backwards/sideways slides i.e. you go into a big slide, and can't get out of it.

For a while I thought it was ESC overheating, but I no longer believe that to be the whole story: My original X500 would sometimes suddenly fall to one side, but suddenly at low altitude and lots (!), due to overheating of a single ESC on the side carrying the most weight.

This other - much smoother - slide has happened to me a few times, but only from quite high up.

I am wondering whether, since I'm measuring airspeed using local cues (trees, ground etc.), it's just that the higher I get, the harder it becomes to detect horizontal movement. True whether flying conventionally or FPV. And if your horizontal speed increases to the same sort of speed as your downwash - about 20 kmh I measure - you lose thrust through vector addition; the rotational moment you're using to correct the slide is reduced by the sideways movement below the amount necessary to correct the slide.

Anyway, my question to all you quad FPV-ers out there, has anyone had this 'unstoppable slide into the ground' problem when flying?

(Might just be me - I'm quite paranoid enough...)

my question to all you quad FPV-ers out there, has anyone had this 'unstoppable slide into the ground' problem when flying?

Probably not the exact same thing, but I've been bitten by an unexpected slide too. It is described here: