Mr.RC-Cam

Micro Sized 5.8GHz Camera Hack

I'm not able to record a video. The 5.8ghz receiver have two video output, I use one for my headset and the other is plug into my Archos AV500 DVR. The video signal appear to be too weak and the DVR is not able to show a picture on the screen. I tried also in my LCD tv and the picture is there but with no color. Even in my headset the picture have fade color and I got always some kind of snow in the picture. I do not get the same quality of video that you show us in your video.

Do you have an idea what is wrong, video level too low perhaps? I can not locate any trimmer in the receiver or inside the cam/tx.

perhaps my receiver is not correctly tune. They are inexpensive, I can order one from you

Edited by Vrflyer

I don't know what the problem is, but my guess is that the Rx is bad. Perhaps this explains your comment that the camera needs a lot of light (I haven't experienced that problem).

Just to check the basics:

(1) On the bottom of the Rx is a label with tiny print that identifies the required operating voltage. Is your Rx labeled as 5V or 12V? Are you using the correct voltage?

(2) Lack of color can be due to incorrectly matched video modes. The camera offers PAL/NTSC modes via the #4 DIP switch. Be sure to cycle power to EVERYTHING whenever the video mode switch is changed.

I made a video with my Nano helico. The picture in my goggle have color in it, but when I record I got only a black & white picture. It's the same whit my two DVR and also my lcd tv. I just found another cable and will do test with it later.

Mr.RC-Cam, Sorry if this is off topic but is DPCAV no longer selling? 2.4ghz Tx/Rx etc...

I had thought they would also carry the 2.4ghz version of the micro cam, in addition to the 5.8ghz version.

Thanks

I had thought they would also carry the 2.4ghz version of the micro cam, in addition to the 5.8ghz version.

Only the 5.8GHz micro cam and related accessories are available from the dpcav.com site.

BTW, many of the micro R/C models are 2.4GHz R/C, so a 5.8GHz camera system would be a better/safer choice.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Although there are some 2.4GHz Airwave components for the DiY RF builders available there, dpcav.com has never offered a 2.4GHz wireless video system. The only way this would change is if an affordable 2.4GHz digital video system shows up that has the performance the typical FPV'er needs. So far it has been an elusive dream. But my comments are a bit off topic, so its probably best to return to the 5.8GHz discussion.

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

I just discovered that the receiver with dual output are available in different frequencies, I mean even if they label 5.8ghz, you can have two differents band of frequencies on 5.8ghz. We already knew that they are available at 5V or 12V input voltage. Check the receiver frequencies sold at Range video:

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=213

The Rangevideo 5.8ghz tx 200mw is not compatible with my 5.8ghz receiver bought at BEV severals month ago, I found it after bench test.

http://www.bevrc.com/bev-58g-200mw-pulg-and-play-specially-designed-for-fpv-p-18.html

Thomas have you something to confirm the frequency of the 5.8ghz tx/cam, perhaps the cam/tx do not work on the frequencies shown on your website that would explain why I had a very bad reception when I was using the BEV receiver

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16583&cat=278&page=1

p.s. When I compare the frequencies on BEV 5.8ghz receiver and your 5.8ghz tx/rx cam, they are identical, but I suspect the frequencies are not the same

Yikes! It would be unfortunate if RV has different frequencies for the same looking products. But this sort of thing is not a new problem since many of us have found that mixing FPV RF devices from different sources is a gamble.

Thomas have you something to confirm the frequency of the 5.8ghz tx/cam ...

I have confirmed the eight 5.8GHz frequencies listed on the dpcav.com catalog page; the published values are correct. I've done that for both the European and North America packaged micro transmitters (there are two different configurations based on the local mains voltage requirements) and they are the same. So, you can be confident that the channel specs are accurately stated at the dpcav site.

For sure, thanks for the heads-up. I will keep a watchful eye on the frequencies in case the manufacture is relaxed about what they ship. This could get messy if they mix up the frequency selections on the Tx's and Rx's.