Sign in to follow this  
Dimitris76

Reverse polarity damage

I thought it happens only to others but while I was testing a new FPV setup I reverse-connected the switch-mode BEC I am using for powering up everything with 5V. The BEC is this one http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16488&cat=252&page=1 . I heard a faint "paff" and it died immediately. I don't see any obvious damage on any component. Can anybody tell me which component did most likely get damaged, in order to replace it?

Thomas?

Regards,

Dimitris

I know what you mean, it's one of those 'I can't believe I just did that' moments.

Terry

I'm just happy to hear that only the BEC was killed; Could have been more devastating.

There's very few components on a DC-DC BEC. It is hard to know what the damage is on yours, but the one part that is usually destroyed is the switch mode controller IC. In small volumes the can cost as much as a new replacement BEC.

Oh... I was hoping to hear that a sacrificial diode or something would be damaged...

Thank you for the answer!

Dimitrios

I'm just happy to hear that only the BEC was killed; Could have been more devastating.

There's very few components on a DC-DC BEC. It is hard to know what the damage is on yours, but the one part that is usually destroyed is the switch mode controller IC. In small volumes the can cost as much as a new replacement BEC.