skullmunky

Advice on using multiple wireless cameras

This isn't actually an R/C application, just wireless video. I need three small, battery-powered wireless cameras, which is turning out to be a little trickier than expected because of interference issues. I first tried 2.4Ghz ones, but interference from WiFi and particularly Bluetooth devices was too severe. 900 MHz cameras work better, but I can't find ones which are tuneable - I have two from different vendors which can work simultaneously, but adding the third creates too much interference because it's on the same frequency as one of the others. The receivers have the nice tuning knobs on them, but I guess the cameras are set at the factory.

Is there a way to modify the transmission frequency on a 900Mhz camera?

Should I be looking at 5.8Ghz? The cost is a little scary, for three, but if that's what it'll take to get a clean signal I might have to do that.

I should explain a little more about the application and the parameters, it's a little unusual. This is actually for a dance performance piece, in which three dancers will be wearing wireless cameras and also Nintendo Wiimotes. The images from the three cameras will be projected over the stage, and the motion capture data from the Wiimotes controls the soundtrack. The performance is indoors, with a pretty clear line of sight from the transmitters to the receivers. The Wiimotes are Bluetooth, which is what's interfering with the 2.4GHz cameras.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edit: I forgot to mention the cameras will also need to have fisheye lenses attached to them and operate in IR. On the ones I've tried so far this has been pretty easy, it's just involved prying off the IR filter, but I just wanted to mention it in case there are some cams where that's not so simple.

Edited by skullmunky

900 MHz cameras work better, but I can't find ones which are tuneable - I have two from different vendors which can work simultaneously, but adding the third creates too much interference because it's on the same frequency as one of the others. The receivers have the nice tuning knobs on them, but I guess the cameras are set at the factory.

The wireless video systems that have "tuning knobs" on them are considered junk systems. The tuning feature is actually not a feature at all, but instead a trick to allow for a cheaper product. If you are happy with 900MHz then spend a few more dollars and get a 8-12 channel system (frequency set by DIP switches, not a knob). Despite having 8-12 channels, you will probably only find about 3 channels that will allow simultaneous use in your application. For your short range stage environment I recommend low RF power, perhaps 25mW to 50mW. Beyond that, good luck!