Sign in to follow this  
Terry

when did it start?

A question for Mr RC here, when did the first RC-CAM forum start? when was my first post on it?

I have been talking to some friends and there seems to be some disscussion ;) over the history of FPV, maybe you can help?

Terry

From what I recall, the rc-cam forum was created late (~Dec) 1999. Its charter was to allow technical hobbyists to intelligently discuss wireless R/C video topics far from the relentless trolls that were destroying the newsgroup alternatives.

The first post I could find from you was May 5, 2003. Long before the term "FPV" was coined, you asked:

"Hi All I have been trying to fly my plane by watching the video link but allways get lost ! I was thinking the quickest way to get a fix on the plane would be to see its position on a map, so I was wondering if anyone has linked an onboard GPS via a data link to a moving map display on a laptop ? Cheers Terry"

Thanks Thomas that adds up to what I thought more or less. I remember it was a couple of years before I got the video link good enough to get lost so that works out about right for my estamated first FPV video flights being in 2000.

I seem to remember it was dennis (vr flyer) that first decided to stick to the term FPV but I dont know if he was the first to use it.

Terry

I seem to remember it was dennis (vr flyer) that first decided to stick to the term FPV but I dont know if he was the first to use it.

It's a bit fuzzy, but I recall cyber-flyer recommended calling this hobby "First Person View." If you search the old rc-cam archives that Kilrah is hosting you might find the post where the term was born.