jalves

Piano DVR don't like this camera signal

Hello all,

Once more, I need your assistance :P

I bought the so called piano DVR ( link ) and it work as it should (record video through AVin to the hd) with all my cameras except from the camera mounted in my main FPV model

Through this video you can see the problems.

I don't have a clue except that this is related to the color, the camera provide a interlaced signal (but the other cameras tested also do it) could this be the problem?

In rcg the opinions are divided some people don't have problems and love the little dvr, and others claim some problems, mainly associated to pal cameras (which I also use, and 4 of them don't show any problem) or to hungry power hard drives (could be the case, 500GB).

Any idea about the causes??

Thoughts?

Comments?

Thanks.

There have been reports of problems like yours. My opinion is that it is related to the the video level through the wireless video link. As a test, directly connect the camera to the piano DVR (eliminate the RF link) and then see what happens. If it works this way then it would indicate a video performance issue from the wireless system.

Thomas,

Excluding the rc-link (camera connected directly to the input of the piano dvr) the results are the same, good image free of disturbance for all the cameras except this one.

The camera is known as FPV530HD, it was made in Korea, has very good detail (edit:540L) but I had to tweak through the osd to obtain rich vivid colors (the default options gave an brownish image).

Clues?

Thanks again.

Edited by jalves

It's time to get out the scope and look at the video levels. Feel free to post the scope's waveforms if you need help with them.

One thing that is a clue to the problem is that the OSD pixel polarity changes when the lens cap is on the camera. This hints that the camera is DC coupled instead of AC coupled, which can cause problems in some systems. As an experiment, directly connect the camera to the DVR with a 470uF cap in series with the video signal lead (+ lead towards camera). This will not fully solve the issue, but does it change it for the better?

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Hello again,

Try the cap mod and, as you suspect, the problem didn't go away. It seems all the same.

Doing a frame to frame analysis of the recorded video , I detect a trend: 3 "tinted" frames, 4 clean frames, 3 "tinted" frames, 4 clean frames and so on...

I don't own a oscilloscope, but I can trace the video signal through a pc oscillo, do you think this can help your analysis?

The pianoDVR is able to record the clean frames, so why some frames appear "tinted" as if the base colors are separated from each other?

A limitation of the Realtek RTD1262PA chip?

A PC sound card o-scope does not have the performance needed to measure the video signal. A good scope with the TV-Sync feature is best and should allow you to see what is occurring in the video to cause the problem.