rcflying

What is the best high gain RX attenna?

Hi everyone!! I was wondering what is the best RX attenna that would have the highest gain possible for a 2.4GHz receiver? please help. thanks so much!!! take care!

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

IN CHRIST,

rcflying

There a number of different antennas and antenna types. Everyone please add some because I know I will miss some mostly because it is after midnight here.

Panel/patch: Available in different sizes, different gains, different polarities, name it and they have a version of this antenna. Great for semi-directional transmitting and receiving and can have very high gain. Highest patch I have found is 19dB of gain, although it is over a square foot....

Parabolic: Very very high gain, even more directional though. Very narrow beam width. Great for very long distance communication though.

Dipole: Great general purpose basically omni antenna. Can be 3-4" long for low gain and be over 5 feet long for a 15db gain antenna. What most people use on transmit and receive.

Double Quad: Great little antenna, midlevel gain, good beam width, fairly easy to make one and try out. Harder to make it perfect though.

1/4 wave wire: KISS antenna, no ground plane or ground wire. Just a simple short range antenna.

Really which antenna you need depends on what you are doing, how far you intend to do it, and partly depends on how much wattage you are going to transmit with. Mostly people go with some decent omni/dipole antennas though.

Matt

If I am flying on my own I use a patch of my own design and just have it on a tripod pointing in the area I am flying in or if I have a friend with me I use a hellical pointed at the plane all the time.

Terry

The Yagi antenna can be added to the list.

Mark

Thanks mark, like I said it was late at night.

Yagi: High gain, almost as directional as parabolic dish but not quite. There is a flyer who has one mounted to a helmet so as long as he looks at the airplane he is looking at the signal...nifty huh?

Matt

Only thing about that is when you are wearing the glasses it's pretty hard to figure out if you are looking in the direction of the plane or not.

At least for me.

However it's pretty quick to reorient the antenna with a turn of the head.

Although I think it's a great idea, I think I prefer the auto-trackers.

To be fair, I think a 'good' patch aerial will give you enough range as long as you have a few hundred milliwatts from your transmitter.

Terry

I like patch antennas, the one I use has a 75 degree beamwidth, thats pretty good if youre flying alone and just want an antenna to point in the general direction and then fly. It also has 8 dbi of gain which helps.