FPV in your Pants!

Ok, this isn't a traditional FPV situation, but it involves wireless video and allows for third person observation. No R/C as yet, but maybe one day. :)

Here's the story: Recently a family member had a number of medical tests. One test involved swallowing a tiny wireless camera. The camera moves through the intestinal tract and captures 5-6 thousand color still shots over an 8 hour period. Every few seconds the photos are sent to a small body worn recorder (looks like a purse). Essentially you swallow the camera, go home and do your regular activities, then return to the hospital 8 hours later. A technician downloads the photos stored in the purse. A day later the camera is expelled via the traditional exit point.

Yup, we fished out the camera from the toilet (have had to do worse things). So I am now the proud owner of a tiny wireless camera that looks like a big jelly bean. Although it has four very bright LED lights that flash during use, the battery was exhausted by the time the camera was retrieved. So, it is basically a tiny paperweight with an interesting history.

Here's a photo of it, next to an R/C servo connector for size comparisons:

By the way, while the camera was being used I fired up the Spectrum Analyzer (not to be confused with a rectum analyzer) and tried to measure its RF frequency. I assumed it would use one of the ISM band frequencies but could not detect anything. Later I reviewed their FCC application and found that it operates on 432MHz. The body worn recorder includes a wrap-around waistband RF shield, which seems to be effective in attenuating the RF being broadcast from the body.

PillCam / manufacture's web site is here:

PillCam internal guts, from FCC filing:

PillCam Waistband Photos, from FCC filing:

eeeoooww, glad I read this after my breakfast and not before !

So, have you broken the 'pill' open and rigged it up for more FPV yet?

I suspect the focal point is measured in millimetres rather than metres!

My original plans were to tear it apart to see the electronic guts. But after I found the exploded view drawings I no longer felt the need to do that.

The focal view is indeed very short. In practice, the main stuff to see is pressing against the clear dome lens.

The technology is a variation of this, but without Raquel Welch :) :