I just started looking into FPV last week and decided to get what I

needed from Range Video. Since I have 2.4GHz Spectrum, my choice is

between the 1.3 and the 900Ghz.

I dont read much about the 1.3Ghz. Quite a bit on the 900Ghz. I live

in the States. Could you guys give me reasons to pick one over the other?

Thanks much,

Randy

I have never used either as Im in the UK but from what I read 900Mhz is good and has been used with great success for a long time. Intresting that you did not say 5.8Ghz as well, I would be interested in the reason for that?

Terry

It's a guessing game on which to choose. If you fly in an area with competing 1.3GHz RF sources then 900MHz would be better. On the flip side, if 900MHz is overly used in your area then 1.3Ghz would be preferred. If both 900MHz and 1.3Ghz are cluttered bands then 5.8GHz may be a better solution. In the end, you make your best guess choice and roll with the punches.

Typical advice to newbies is to buy quality equipment and avoid the tempting low cost junk; that philosophy is pure gold.

Thanks for the reply's :)

Terry: I didn't consider 5.8 because of it's shorter range.

Mr Rc-Cam: Is Range Video Junk? I've heard that they are ok?

I'm leaning toward the 1.3Ghz.

Is Range Video Junk? I've heard that they are ok?

They are a popular source of FPV equipment. I suspect rcgroups.com's FPV forum would have have some discussions about the particular 1.3GHz system you have chosen to buy.

Randy, your range will be more limited by your spektrum, what range do you get with it?

Terry

Randy, your range will be more limited by your spektrum, what range do you get with it?

Terry

I never fly that far since I have never flown FPV but from what I found on the internet, only

about a mile. What kind of radios are you guys using that you can fly for miles?

Randy

I was just pointing out that to dismiss 5.8Ghz because its range is too low is silly when your R/C link only has a 1 mile range anyway.

It may well be that 900Mhz or whatever is a better choice but there is no right system for everywhere. 2.4Ghz is often useless these days due to wanting to use a 2.4Ghz R/C system or there is a lot of wifi in the flying area but sometimes it can be the best choice. In the UK we only have 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz that we can use so 5.8Ghz is becoming more popular due to both these reasons.

I dont normally fly long range but when I do I use a home made UHF system for R/C and 5.8Ghz for video, My longest is just over 3.5 miles but is not the limit.

Terry

I was just pointing out that to dismiss 5.8Ghz because its range is too low is silly when your R/C link only has a 1 mile range anyway.

It may well be that 900Mhz or whatever is a better choice but there is no right system for everywhere. 2.4Ghz is often useless these days due to wanting to use a 2.4Ghz R/C system or there is a lot of wifi in the flying area but sometimes it can be the best choice. In the UK we only have 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz that we can use so 5.8Ghz is becoming more popular due to both these reasons.

I dont normally fly long range but when I do I use a home made UHF system for R/C and 5.8Ghz for video, My longest is just over 3.5 miles but is not the limit.

Terry

Wow! 3.5 miles! If I end up really liking the FPV experience I will continue to get more

educated with the electronics of FPV and then bust out the wallet and get a long range set up :D

First I need the Plane:

I will be placing an order this week for a AP Solution UL from MWCores.com.

Down the road I may want to get a new radio....I hear the futaba 9C is good...I'll do my

research. One step at a time though :D So I guess my point is that I am thinking long term

when dismissing the 5.8.

Randy

So I guess my point is that I am thinking long term when dismissing the 5.8.

Yes I think we all tend to look for the system that will do more than we need so that it will last ;)

I would of kept using 2.4Ghz if not for wifi interference, all my 2.4 stuff is just collecting dust now :(

Terry

I would of kept using 2.4Ghz if not for wifi interference, all my 2.4 stuff is just collecting dust now :(

Terry

Can I relieve you of some dust Terry? :D

I love living out in the sticks!

Nigel.

What would you like Nigel?

I got lots of receivers, some 100mW transmitters and a 500mW transmitter, lots of patches and a 4 way diversity system (no audio, dont use it).

Terry