Sign in to follow this  
twinturbostang

Feature suggestion/request for Oracle

I've been doing some antenna testing lately and I found that it would be incredibly helpful if the Oracle made a different beep sound each time it switched between receivers. I found myself not knowing which receiver/antenna was currently selected. Each time I wanted to know which was being used, I had to raise my video goggles and look at the Oracle LED indicators. Of course this is not very easy (or such a good idea) while flying an airplane.

So my suggestion is to modify the firmware such that the beep sound has a different tone depending on which receiver is being switched to. For example... a "beep" for video 1 and a "boop" for video 2. Seems like a simple, yet effective, solution.

Any chance on implementing this? :)

Thanks,

Brian

I just added a simple beep sound input to one of the inputs and used headphones to hear the output.

Terry

The beep sound you hear is created by the buzzer component. There is no practical control over its native audio frequency.

Terry's idea is commonly used. But you don't need to add a beep sound on one input. Instead, you can use the transmitted microphone audio. Or in absence of a mic you can simply rely on the Rx's white noise. The coolest way to set up this method is to have the left ear hear the audio when the left Rx is enabled, and the right ear hear the audio when the right Rx is enabled. All the magic is done with the cables at Oracle's rear panel. It is very intuitive when in-use and you will easily follow which antenna is being used.

If you don't like headphones or ear buds, then just plug a single amplified speaker into Oracle's left or right audio output. Silence will occur when one of the Rx's is active, sound will be heard when the other Rx is active.

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. I will have to try one of those.

I thought I had heard different tones coming from the Oracle though. There's the usual beep when switching receiver inputs. And then it makes a different tone when the low battery warning is hit. Couldn't something like that be implemented?

The low battery is the same chirp noise, but it is modulated on/off for several hundred milliseconds. It's not practical to use it to indicate the video switching since it would sound much too similar to a low battery alert.