Hi!

I'm interested in buying a Gaui 330X S quadrocopter (not anymore - X650 or X720). The problem is that I'm a novice in RC flying, and I would therefore like to ask a few questions.

What range should I expect with a radio controller preferably below 300 USD? (Like the SPECTRUM DX6i with a AR6110 receiver)

Is it possible to implement a GPS-module to enable position/altitude hold?

I have been searching for a camera to mount under the quadrocopter, so that I can see live video feed while flying. I would rather not use the camera holder that is intended to be used with it because I think it looks a bit odd.

The cameras I have been looking at are from ACME:

FCO HD 720p

FCO3

FCO2 v2

http://www.flycamone.com/

But I don't know what else I need to buy to make them work, and what maximum range I may achieve. Nor what screen I should use.

I think that it's important to be able to remotely adjust the camera, at least up and down. FCO3 does have some sort of head tracking with their FPV goggles (which I btw consider too expensive). Maybe it's possible to manually control the camera from the base unit?

12 minutes of flight time seems a bit to short. Is it worth it to use a 4000mah battery like this http://www.truerc.com/[...], or should I use a smaller one?

Thanks

Edited by lionSpirit

1. Common R/C systems are designed to provide a range that is slightly longer than visual sight. Many will provide at least a mile. Some more, some less. Installation and environment will affect the range too.

2. An example of that feature is found on the MikroKopter. At the moment the 330X-S does not have this feature.

3. Which wireless video system to buy is a common discussion in every forum on the planet. There are no easy answers. Just search and review to form your own opinion. I will say that none of the cameras you mentioned are high on anyone's list of recommendations.

4. If you require a quad that can haul a wireless video system for long range flights lasting much longer than 12 minutes then the 330X-S is probably not a practical choice.

The problem is that I'm a novice in RC flying, and I would therefore like to ask a few questions.

If you're a novice then I suggest that you postpone thoughts about wireless cameras and long range flights. Instead, learn how to fly the 330X-S or whatever helicopter you buy; That alone will require much more time than you could ever imagine and few hobbyists survive the helicopter learning experience. Take baby steps as they say. Once you can safely fly all orientations then you will be ready for FPV.

BTW, all of the questions you brought up are discussed on a daily basis in the various R/C forums (rcgroups.com is one popular hangout). So hunt around and read until your eyes bleed.

If you a novice then delay thinking about wireless cameras and long range flights. Learn how to fly the 330X-S or whatever helicopter you buy; That alone will require much more time than you could ever imagine and few hobbyists survive the learning experience. Take baby steps as they say.

I see your point, but I'm also a quick learner. I've been flying advanced helicopters in flight simulators for quite some time. I know that it's a bit different, but FPV is the main thing I want a quadrocopter for - to make it feel like a UAV. So it's really only the technical aspects that I'm worrying about.

I suggest you spend a few days visiting the Quad and FPV forums at rcgroups.com. The information you need will be found there.

I see your point, but I'm also a quick learner.

Those are painfully common words from new hobbyists posted at every R/C forum. I don't want to sound cruel, but choosing a helicopter type model for your FPV flight platform is perhaps the worst possible choice for a newbie. I suggest that you openly discuss your FPV goals at rcgroups to see what others have to say about it. Then listen to their words of wisdom.

Noted, I understand that you want to prevent me from making a mistake. But I know what I want, and maybe you could let me be happy just for a while before I crash and ruin it totally (that's when you say "I told you so" XD).

Btw, I've changed my mind about the Gaui. I decided that I want either a Xaircraft X650 or a Turbo Ace X720 instead (because they're more stable).

It's everything or nothing for me in this case. If this "project" isn't going through, there wont be any RC'ing for me (I'll just stick to normal Airsoft without an UAV :P).

Edited by lionSpirit

Guest roger

Just purchase the 330x-s for aerial photography also yesterday i made my first maiden fligth and crash it into the ground 15 times

the last crash i broke in half one legs !! i never flown rc helicopter but i have 5 year of experience in rc plane , but i also purchase the fy-20a for helping me but i don't know how to set it to my gaui 344 , i have a turnigy transmitter and for me gyros,flaps,expo, its new because i always use a 4 channel transmitter so far , but anyway my goal with my gaui its to use it for photography only with the go pro . also want to be able to stop the fy-20a with a flip of a switch so i can have the choice when needed.. There something i don't understand . ok when i want to take off slowly the quad flip every time and i not able to do a hover at 12 inch from the ground , i have to do it with a good up trottle to take off but even at slow speed the quad goes where he want ,

i read all the manual and set everything and all my ailerons ,rudder ,trottle are ok , i also reset the esc procedure ,my gain is set to 40% chek all my trim , facing the 344 forward but not like in the manual because my frame is a upgrade with the camera mount , i have also the original frame its to small anywayro is

there a picture on the top where i install the 344 gyro

thank you and sorry for my english

i want to take off slowly the quad flip every time

[1] Remove the FY-20A if it is installed. Do not install it until the model is flying correctly.

[2] Follow the GAUI instructions and recalibrate the four ESC's.

[3] Check that the Tx's servo direction settings are correct on Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder.

[4] Check the four props to see that you installed them exactly as explained in the GAUI instruction manual.

[5] Setup the Gaui controller for normal operation (do not turn on training mode).

[6] On the R/C Tx add 40% Expo mix on the 3 control surfaces.

[7] Perform your initial hover tests on a field area that is flat and smooth (grass can interfere with take-offs which can cause flips if you are a new heli pilot).

and i not able to do a hover at 12 inch from the ground , i have to do it with a good up trottle to take off but even at slow speed the quad goes where he want ,

This is your first helicopter model. Despite how easy it looks, they are NOT easy to fly. So, I suggest you put the model away and learn on a R/C simulator first. If the simulator does not have a quad heli then choose a 60-size helicopter from your simulator's library. Do not fly the 330X-S until after you can comfortably fly the simulator (all orientations, including some nose-in). Since you are already an experienced R/C pilot it will probably require about 20 hours on the simulator (but might take longer). DO NOT try the real helicopter until you can fly the simulator model with good control.

Lastly, you asked to have your newly created rc-cam registration account deleted, so I have done that. I asked you to post in the forum because private emails about general topics do not help the rc-cam community (please see the forum rules). From your urgent sounding messages it sounds like you may be trying to rush things. This hobby requires great patience, so do not expect overnight miracles. Take it slow and you will eventually achieve success. Good luck.