Hi there.

Does anyone know how the Headplay goggles connect to the base box (aka 'Liberator'.... "Long live Blake!", in case there are any 1970's UK Sci-Fi fans out there)?

I made life MUCH easier for myself by replacing my RVision control box and two short-ish cables - always in the way, connectors pulling out etc. - with 4m of stereo cable (+v, gnd & composite video), soldered at the goggle end.

It seems the Headplay goggles might be more sophisticated than the composite IN displays of the Rvision. But 'The Liberator' is very big, and the cable pretty short.

I asked Headplay, who replied:

"If I remember correctly, the cable length is restricted to that length for technical reasons. I don't recall the details but some combination of signal strength and emissions determined the allowable length of cable.

I don't have access to the technical specifications you are requesting."

I then asked if they could ask their manufacturer for some info on the interface, or a contact - name, even - of the manufacturer, but have had no reply. I guess at least I now know it is 'for technical reasons'. Rather than issues of fashion or creed, presumably.

So, anyone out there know anything about this? Even if it's LVDS or somesuch, a small inline buffer is going to be less likely to cause trouble than mounting that big box somewhere close. In the field, 4m of cable from goggles to base station is very nice!

Okay, so not a subject folks can add to there.

Mind you, now I'm using my Headplay goggles for FPV, I'm wondering if my eyes need upgrading :(

Headplay 'should' be better than my (now getting quite old!) GCD 640x480 goggles:

1. Higher resolution (800x600)

2. Adjustable parameters (sharpness, saturation etc.)

In practice so far, I'm not finding this to be the case.

3. The HeadPlay has a narrower 'window' for optimum eye position - move the unit just a little on your head and the image does out of focus, especially at the edges. Probably something about the depth of field. Not fun trying to adjust this finely once something is in the air.

4. I'd swear there is a latency issue. Movement of the whole image generates little strips of image at the edges. I don't get this at all with the older goggles, which just present movement smoothly, whether it is just a little or a lot of the image moving.

I'd read about 3, but 4 surprises me.

It could be some processing overhead which slows down the framerate on moving the whole picture. Or, perhaps the edges of the image are sharper in the HeadPlay, whereas in the old GCD goggles the image isn't so crisp, so these movement artefacts are just more obvious.

Either way, in practice, I find the HeadPlay really quite distracting due to this effect.

Perhaps I should try flying on a cap-mounted screen - MR RC-Cam, did you get anywhere with your baseball-cap screen?

Headplay 'should' be better than my (now getting quite old!) GCD 640x480 goggles:

In a perfect world higher Format Resolution would provide more Visual Resolution. But unfortunately a display's visual resolution (the image as presented to our eyes) cannot be determined by the published screen resolution specs. Your experience is one example of this frustrating issue. Then there are all the other afterthoughts that are involved in the various displays: Blue screen behavior, frame latency, contrast, comfort, and so on.

BTW, my HeadPlays have an odd problem where the focus is not consistent to both eyes. Also the focus in each eye is not consistent across the entire image.

Perhaps I should try flying on a cap-mounted screen - MR RC-Cam, did you get anywhere with your baseball-cap screen?

My FPV cap idea was an attempt to marry a high quality display (with high contrast / high resolution) to a special baseball cap with focusing lens. Unfortunately all the affordable displays I tried were junk; Overall I wasted a few hundred dollars buying and evaluation displays. BTW, one thing I learned early on is that the advertised specs from most of the China/Hong Kong sources were shamefully made up. As they say, buyer beware.

4. I'd swear there is a latency issue.

I've read about that too. Are you by any chance using a PAL camera?

Headplays have a bad support for PAL, and there's a precise firmware version that should be used to have correct behavior with PAL. That might be one thing to check.

I've read about that too. Are you by any chance using a PAL camera?

Headplays have a bad support for PAL, and there's a precise firmware version that should be used to have correct behavior with PAL. That might be one thing to check.

Thanks, yes, firmware 1.18 recommended by Rngevideo for PAL 'All problems sorted out now'etc. So I have to assume, with 1.18 now installed, this is as good as it gets...

...which might still be much less than perfect...

Do you have any device with an NTSC video out to try and compare? If you have no NTSC FPV camera a digital camera or small camcorder could do it, when they have a video output you can often switch it between PAL and NTSC.

I dont want to derail this thread but as a user that only normally uses glasses to navigate by and aim a camera I was wondering what is the best proven glasses for FPV? as I have been thinking a better image would be nice :)

Or is it better to go back to using a screen?

Terry

I experience the same focus issue that MR RC. reports here. I was beginning to think I am too old for FPV... :)

The FOV is also an issue, when I turn my eyeballs to the corners, the image gets darker... It really bothers me with the quad.

I heard the Heaplays are not going to be manufactured anymore. I don´t care because when mine go bad, I´m getting some FS´s.