Sign in to follow this  
scooterspal

900mhz antenna questions

Hello to all. I'm doing as much reading as I can on antennas for 900mhz video use but I have some questions...

First, everyone seems to recommend the rangevideo whip for the transmitter. I cannot see how this antenna, being only 4.5", long can be a true half wave. Is not a half wave for 900 mhz closer to 6.5"? Can anyone explain?

Also, the rangevideo patch antenna is also a hit with RC but it has what appears to be quite a long cable. Mr. RC states, in his article on how to build a patch antenna, that the normal coax cable causes much signal strength loss. Again, can anyone shed some light?

Hope I'm not nitpicking... just trying to understand is all : )

Mr. RC states, in his article on how to build a patch antenna, that the normal coax cable causes much signal strength loss. Again, can anyone shed some light?

In the 2.4GHz GP Patch project, coax is highly discourage due to the cable's losses at that frequency. However, coax attenuation at ~900MHz is substantially lower (assuming it is wisely chosen cable). So short lengths of good coax on a 900MHz system are practical. But if you want the most performance then keep it as short as possible.