Sign in to follow this  
scooterspal

.9 - 1.3Ghz guidance

Hello to all.

After much reading and searching (but before I found this site) I purchased a 900mhz video TX/RX system on Ebay from one of the many Hong Kong sellers. The description on Ebay for the unit stated 4 channels as follows: 910Mhz, 950Mhz, 970Mhz and 990Mhz. I planned to use it only on 910Mhz to remain within the "safe" ISM band.

What I apparently got, after contacting some other sellers of what appears to be the same product, actually has some 15 channels with the lowest starting at 993Mhz and going up to 1280Mhz.

I assumed I was screwed as far as using it and this after taking the TX and RX apart to install in my open casings. In other words, no longer returnable. Then I found users on this site who are running their systems on 1280Mhz and I was hoping all is still not lost.

What's the deal with using 1280Mhz for video? This is within the ham radio band, correct? Are you getting licensed for this or just taking your chances? Has anyone had any trouble with the FCC? What kind of output power are you running?

Please... some guidance on this is much appreciated.

Edited by scooterspal

(1) 1280MHz is a valid North American ham frequency and it can be used for transmitting video. (2) I think you will find that most of the active members on the RC-CAM forum have an amateur radio license. (3) 500mW is typical for FPV.

1280MHz is a valid North American ham frequency and it can be used for transmitting video....

I believe this ham band runs from 1240 to 1300 according to the radio frequency spectrum chart I'm looking at.

This unit I ended up with claims it has 1240, 1260 and 1280 Mhz. Can I use any of them or is video relegated to just 1280Mhz?

BTW: Do you just take for granted the unit you are using is on the frequency the seller claims it to be on for a given channel number? Is this enough for the FCC (assuming, that is, you are licensed)?

Edited by scooterspal

This unit I ended up with claims it has 1240, 1260 and 1280 Mhz. Can I use any of them or is video relegated to just 1280Mhz?

Due to the occupied video bandwidth the only practical channels in this case would be 1260 - 1280 MHz.

Do you just take for granted the unit you are using is on the frequency the seller claims it to be on for a given channel number?

Nothing should be taken for granted if you bought it on eBay or from a China based vendor. Their product claims are often pulled out of thin air.

... Is this enough for the FCC (assuming, that is, you are licensed)?

Amateur radio operation has specific rules that must be followed by the license holder. In other words, all the little details are the radio operator's responsibility.