Sign in to follow this  
magnetman

5.8 GHz 25mw airwave - aircraft installation

Hi,all

is there any benefit in using an inverted monopole antenna (or inverted skew planar wheel)on the plane, so most of the field radiates downwards??

I'm planning to use just an upward facing patch on the ground - I don't intend to go out far. (LOS with spotter)

I have an airwave 5.8 25mw module I would like to try out on my Twinstar

Thanks all

I have found it much better if the aerial hangs out the bottom on 2.4Ghz and even more so on 5.8Ghz. On my Twinstars the aerial hangs out from the side of the nose and just folds back when it touches the ground. Just dont forget to unfold it again at take off.

Do you plan to fly over yourslf alot? the dipole will have a dead spot directly under the plane but this is minimal unless you are very high.

Terry

Edited by Terry

I have found it much better if the aerial hangs out the bottom on 2.4Ghz and even more so on 5.8Ghz. On my Twinstars the aerial hangs out from the side of the nose and just folds back when it touches the ground. Just dont forget to unfold it again at take off.

Do you plan to fly over yourslf alot? the dipole will have a dead spot directly under the plane but this is minimal unless you are very high.

Terry

Thanks Terry, that's a good idea, my ant is just fwd of the tail at present. As you say, flying over myself low blanks out a bit, with dipole on RX/TX but not seriously. I have had better results with 8dbi patch on the RX facing up tho.

I have the ideal plane going together for a tail mounted - down pointing ant, Multiplex Sonic - see how that goes

Richard