Sign in to follow this  
Terry

Skywalker

Just thought I would start a thread on the Skywalker, there seems to be too much info on other forums and a lot of bad or conflicting info.

Well I have built and flown mine now but have limited flying time on it so would be interested in others input.

The first thing I would like to say is that the wing is fine, lots of others have said its too weak and a few have even snapped them in flight. Mine is a V2 and is up to the job. Some Guys have loaded there plane way too heavy just because it has a lot of room and then flown at speeds in excess of 50 or 60mph well what can I say!

I have my Canon G9, a 5000mAh 3s batt and all the usual gear and fly between 20 and 30mph and it flys nice :)

There is an option to add flaps which I did and find them well worth the effort. With half flap take-off is easier and with full flap landing is short with no float on as it dose without flap.

The quality of the kit is well short of Multiplex but with minor mods its a very good plane. The best bit is that its the only plane I have that can do vertical shots with my G9 as well as the more normal shots.

Just to add that flight times are 30min and the glide is a little better than my TS2's.

Terry

Edited by Terry

How about some pictures!

In retrospect, I should have kept the EZ* in the closet and bought a Skywalker instead. The Skywalker seems like a better choice because of the larger size / roomy interior.

As you can see the front mount only has a video camera on it at the moment but is made to carry the G9. The G9 is in its vertical position with lens shut.

Terry

post-16-0-95541600-1309419467_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-65593400-1309419516_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photos. The Skywalker seems like the ideal model for hauling camera gear. Low cost, roomy interior, and not so big that it freaks out the regular folks at the local school yard. :)

Ive built it so the wing splits in 2 and the stabiliser comes off so its easy to transport. I need to get a lot more flight time on it before I decide if its going to be my prefered aircraft but the TS2 is hard to beat.

Terry

I did a silly thing today, I flew my SW with the FY-21AP auto pilot in permanant balance mode as this is the default if no switch channel is connected, I had run out of spare channels.

The silly bit is I tell everyone not to trust computer systems and to always have a manual control to take over if things go pear shaped. I always take off and land under full manual as I hate auto pilots fighting my inputs but not this time.

Everything was normal for about 15min then the old problem of the FY-21AP wanting to dive the plane, uggg I had forgotten all about that and this time no chance to switch it off :(

Over the next few seconds I kept pulling back but the flight speed just built up and then it was over. Damage was light due to comming down in very long grass, the main damage was the stabiliser snapped the top of the fin off where the servo is mounted (very little meat in there).

Anyway I programmed a pic chip to output a 1ms pulse and soldered it on to a short servo lead, plugged it in to the FY-21AP and problem solved.

I reported this problem last year when it happend with my TS2 but was told it must be a problem with my installation and the known fault would happen every time so its not that!

Well if anyone has any of the caps that caused the "known fault" spare let me know because it for sure aint right!

Terry

Glad to hear the SW was repairable. Does the FY-21AP have the defective cap problem that some FY-20A users have experienced?

Does the FY-21AP have the defective cap problem that some FY-20A users have experienced?

Well the experts say not and it must be my instalation but I have 3 of these and this is the only one that plays up, now on 2 different aircraft. I cant find any of the caps in small numbers or I would swap them out anyway just to be sure.

Terry

I cant find any of the caps in small numbers or I would swap them out anyway just to be sure.

Aren't they just 0805 size 1uF/ceramic? If so, those are as common as dirt. Are you sure you can't get them locally or from a reasonable online shop?

Well I can get them but only in large numbers and 10% Im not sure if they will be good enough, I was looking for some npo caps at 5% to be sure. Maybe I will just give them a try anyway.

Terry

I can't image why they would have to be NPO. Just use something from a reputable supplier. A 5% type X7R should be easy to find.

Nope not easy!

I can only find 1206 or 0603 sizes in 5% so may have to go for 50 of them. I will keep looking though.

Just found I can get them from your side of the pond for £15.87 for 3...

Terry

Edited by Terry

Ok, then let's take this offline and we will find a way to hook you up with some caps. :)

Just thought I would add this flying pic of the Skwalker with the camera set for forward pics, you can also just see the vertical shooting mount though the side hatch.

You can also see that a small amount of flap is used to slow the flight.

Terry

post-16-0-86990100-1312923524_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry

As you can see the front mount only has a video camera on it at the moment but is made to carry the G9. The G9 is in its vertical position with lens shut.

Terry

Terry is it possible to get a few hints on the vertical setup you used? close up pics would be great. Any limitations on the images? A guy on Diydrones (Rigel is his name) has a pod for his SW. Thanks Troy

Nothing hi tech about my set up, the camera is just bolted in using the standard thread on the bottom of the camera through the side of the skywalker. There is a large hole in the bottom that is a snug fit to the filter adaptor that I use to protect the lens assembly and thats about it.

The only difference to taking the more normal shots is that there is less light and so slower shutter speeds are needed. It seems to work very well though and I have taken pics at slow shutter speeds down to 1/60 that were ok. I normally aim for 1/250 or higher if the light allows.

I really need to do some more shots with this in the vertical position but so far I have only done 2 flights this way (most people dont like vertical shots), all my other flights have been with the camera in the top position. This was the last one I did in low light https://www.microlite8.com:8443/sitepreview/http/elevatedcameras.co.uk/BF.htm

If you really do need pics I will see what I can do but dont have much time just now, be sure to share your set up when you complete it ;)

Terry