Sign in to follow this  
bloisy

Gaui 330xs Motor problem? ESC?

Please help! Gaui motor / ESC Problem?

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can offer me some advice as I'm going gray and bald at the same time over getting this Gaui 330xs to fly right.

If you take a look at the short video I've added below, one of the motors is acting up on me and I cannot figure out what the problem is. I'm quite new to this and and am learning as I go. Any and all help would be appreciated.

As far as I can tell the spinners are on correctly and the propellers are tight. A friend of mine suggested the ESC may be wonky. (?)

Is it a bad motor? Could it be the ESC not allowing enough power to the motor?

Thanks for helping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tPE6_hlryE

Setting the gain too high causes instability like seen in the video. Reduce it a lot and then see if the wobbles go away. Keep in mind that on a normal installation the gain is controlled by the Aux R/C channel. On 4-channel radios (not recommended), where the green gain servo wire is not used, the gain is set by the mechanical pot on the Gaui control module. This pot does nothing when the green gain wire is installed in the Rx.

If it is a hardware problem then I doubt it is an ESC issue. However, Gaui motor failures are common due to worn or crash damaged bearings.

Setting the gain too high causes instability like seen in the video. Reduce it a lot and then see if the wobbles go away. Keep in mind that on a normal installation the gain is controlled by the Aux R/C channel. On 4-channel radios (not recommended), where the green gain servo wire is not used, the gain is set by the mechanical pot on the Gaui control module. This pot does nothing when the green gain wire is installed in the Rx.

If it is a hardware problem then I doubt it is an ESC issue. However, Gaui motor failures are common due to worn or crash damaged bearings.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have done the following: exchanged the #2 & #3 ESC's and lowered the gain on the POT with green wire OUT.

It basically became worse in terms of now it won't hover at all - and the problem still exists in motor number 3.

I am using a FUTABA 8FG and was normally adjusting the gain on the Tx with the green wire IN before this problem started to occur.

I hope I can get to the point when I know exactly what is causing my problems (other than my inexperience)!

Thanks

I am using a FUTABA 8FG and was normally adjusting the gain on the Tx with the green wire IN before this problem started to occur.

This is the recommended way to do it, so it is best to reinstall the green servo wire back on the Rx and adjust the gains from your Tx.

If you suspect it is motor #3 then swap the motor with another arm location and see if the problem follows the motor.

When you are satisfied it is working correctly please keep in mind that hovering near the floor is always a little strange due to ground effect. It will hover better a few feet up.

Thanks.

I will give it a try when I get home from work tonight and let you know how I make out.

Cheers

Hi,

Well, I switched motors 3 & 4 around.

The result is that it seems #2 now gets the most power and makes it wanna flip over to the left now. So, I can't get to a hover now to see if the original problem persists.

I decided to recalibrate the ESC's (one by one) using the steps shown below I found online a while back, but I still have this new problem.

I have no idea what to do with this darn thing now

Ahh...

0. Switch off the Tx and Guai

1. remove all ESC leads from the GU-344

2. remove the GU-344 gyro green wire from rx

3. set the gain on the GU-344 to minimal (ccw)

4. plug in the ESC lead of motor #1 in port #1 of the GU-344

5. set the throttle at 100%, switch on the tx and then the Gaui

6. wait for the beeps

7. move throttle to 0%

8. wait for the acknowledge beeps

9. switch off the Guai

10. remove the ESC lead from the GU-344

11. repeat steps 4-9, replace the red numbers for the appropriate motor.

12. when all four have been calibrated, plug in all the ESC leads into the GU-344 and ditto the gyro lead into rx

13. adjust the gain of the GU-344 to nine/ten o'clock for starters.

Well, I switched motors 3 & 4 around. The result is that it seems #2 now gets the most power and makes it wanna flip over to the left now.

When you switched the motors, is there any chance you forgot to make sure that the A & B props are at the correct motor location? That is to say, are your props in the correct place after the motors were moved around? Also, be sure to balance each prop. Also make sure they are installed with the embossed print on the top side.

12. when all four have been calibrated, plug in all the ESC leads into the GU-344 and ditto the gyro lead into rx

13. adjust the gain of the GU-344 to nine/ten o'clock for starters.

As a reminder, the GU-344 gain pot does nothing when the green lead is installed on the R/C Rx's CH-5. What I mean is that the gain is adjusted from the R/C Tx using CH-5's mixing found in the Tx's menus.

You were right! I forgot to change the props after swapping motors. Genius. Thanks for stating the obvious. Nothing is ever obvious to newbies :D

With that said, however, despite swapping the original motors 3 & 4, the strange vibration in the prop still happens in the #3 position. So, I guess it isn't a bad bearing in the motor.

Also, the foam pads under the GU-344 are completely in tact and are not damaged in any way either.

Lastly, I haven't changed the gain in the channel 5 on the Futaba 8FG Rx simply because I don't know how and couldn't find it in the instructions or online. More research to do.

I really appreciate your help. Hopefully others can learn from my rookie mistakes!

Cheers

the strange vibration in the prop still happens in the #3 position.

Might be an unbalanced prop so you could try moving the prop on motor #3 to the other matching prop position. Please keep in mind that It is VERY important to balance the props. So be sure to do that as soon as possible.

Just for reference, I cannot see any problem with motor #3 in the video. What I see is the Quad has a wiggle dance (oscillation) that is usually due to the gyro control gain set too high.

BTW, the Red LED should be illuminated on the Gaui control module. The Green LED means you are in the special training mode, which works poorly from my experience.

Hi,

I believe the props are properly balanced. I assume by 'balanced' you mean they are all at the same level and tight?

I changed the gain again in just about every position but the problem persists in position 3.

BUT, you may be right about the red/green light situation.

I have read the manual and switched the left most switch on the Gyro but the light remains green.

Could I humbly ask you to offer me a brief procedure on how to ensure the light on the GU-344 is RED? Do I have to recalibrate everything again?

All the best and thanks so much.

Edited by bloisy

I believe the props are properly balanced. I assume by 'balanced' you mean they are all at the same level and tight?

All model aircraft props must be balanced by the user before use.

http://hobby.dubro.c...p-balancer-1_17

http://www.rcgroups....ad.php?t=693956

And many more sources, complements of Google.

I changed the gain again in just about every position but the problem persists in position 3.

Not that it matters, but I don't see a problem specific to that motor when I watch the video. It must be subtle.

I have read the manual and switched the left most switch on the Gyro but the light remains green.

The Green LED means you are in the hover training mode, whatever that is. This mode was horrible when I tried it and so I avoid it.

Could I humbly ask you to offer me a brief procedure on how to ensure the light on the GU-344 is RED?

The R/C Rx channel that is connected to the green gyro wire (remote gain) controls the Red/Green LED status. More importantly it also allows you to set the gyro gain. The procedure to do this magic depends on your R/C Tx model (they all vary). I recommend that you hunt down a model helicopter pilot that knows what remote gain is and has some experience with your Tx brand. Have him/her sit down with you to show you how it is done. If that is not possible then maybe someone that uses your same R/C Tx has posted some tips in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups....d.php?t=1229089

If you are still not able to figure it out then just unplug the green gyro wire from the R/C Rx. This will enable the normal mode (Red LED will be on) and the gyro gain will be controlled by the Pot adjustment on the Gaui module. Start with low gains, test hover, and systematically increase the gain until the model oscillates. Once you see it oscillate you will need to reduce the gain again until the oscillations no longer occur. But as soon as you befriend another pilot at the field that knows about remote gain then get that feature working.

All model aircraft props must be balanced by the user before use.

http://hobby.dubro.c...p-balancer-1_17

http://www.rcgroups....ad.php?t=693956

And many more sources, complements of Google.

Thanks for this. I just learned something new. Will investigate further later tonight.

The R/C Rx channel that is connected to the green gyro wire (remote gain) controls the Red/Green LED status. More importantly it also allows you to set the gyro gain. The procedure to do this magic depends on your R/C Tx model (they all vary). I recommend that you hunt down a model helicopter pilot that knows what remote gain is and has some experience with your Tx brand. Have him/her sit down with you to show you how it is done. If that is not possible then maybe someone with your R/C Tx has posted some tips in this thread:http://www.rcgroups....d.php?t=1229089

I am using a FUTABA 8FG and tried this morning. Will try again!

If you are still not able to figure it out then just unplug the green gyro wire from the R/C Rx. This will enable the normal mode (Red LED will be on) and the gyro gain will be controlled by the Pot adjustment on the Gaui module.

I also tried this morning but the green light remained on. Hmmm. I will try again tonight after work (I’m in Osaka, Japan so now it is afternoon for me).

From the sounds of it, it boils down to pure inexperience on my part. There are a lot of gaps in my understanding, but I will keep trying til I find out what the problem is. Most likely something very simple. It always is!

But, I’m sure there will be many 'newbies' who benefit from this string so thanks a lot for your great advice.

I will keep on til it flies.

All the best

Hi again,

Not much to report. When I got home tonight I tried first by removing the green wire again. The LED showed Red. I proceeded to adjust the gain on the pot in tiny increments from 0 to full. No dice. Problem persists.

Regarding my Tx (Futaba 8fg), the manual is greek to me and so I've still yet to figure out how to set it properly. Once I locate a 'gain set up for dummies' I will try and post again.

Thanks again

I tried first by removing the green wire again. The LED showed Red. I proceeded to adjust the gain on the pot in tiny increments from 0 to full. No dice. Problem persists.

If the Red LED is on and the manual gain did not help then I'm out of ideas. Sounds very strange.

Regardless of where you live there will be experienced R/C heli pilots near you. You mentioned you are in Osaka; Google found these guys: http://www.helifreak...hp?groupid=171. Besides single rotor R/C heli pilots, there are probably some quad or tri copter pilots in your area too. Ten minutes with them would be the same as 100 pages of discussion here. So don't be bashful to make a date to meet up with them.

If the Red LED is on and the manual gain did not help then I'm out of ideas. Sounds very strange.

Regardless of where you live there will be experienced R/C heli pilots near you. You mentioned you are in Osaka; Google found these guys: http://www.helifreak...hp?groupid=171. Besides single rotor R/C heli pilots, there are probably some quad or tri copter pilots in your area too. Ten minutes with them would be the same as 100 pages of discussion here. So don't be bashful to make a date to meet up with them.

Nice one! It's ironic because I was at a hobby shop and asked them specifically about clubs in the Osaka area. 'There are none' was his response. :)

In any case, thanks so much and I will surely report back hopefully by the weekend with whatever happens.

Take care,

Lee

Edited by bloisy

There are R/C pilots everywhere that love to get together with like minded fellows. You just have to search them out. The online R/C forums is the place to meet and greet.

For example, I noticed today that you have this same discussion about your quad problems over at rcgroups. There are a lot of R/C heli pilots on that site so why not make it known that you want to meet up with some of them? Perhaps start a new topic in their multirotor Heli forum with a title that says :Osaka heli pilots -- Let's get together!

There are R/C pilots everywhere that love to get together with like minded fellows. You just have to search them out. The online R/C forums is the place to meet and greet.

For example, I noticed today that you have this same discussion about your quad problems over at rcgroups. There are a lot of R/C heli pilots on that site so why not make it known that you want to meet up with some of them? Perhaps start a new topic in their multirotor Heli forum with a title that says :Osaka heli pilots -- Let's get together!

Thanks again for the advice. The people on the forums have been truly AWESOME, yourself included. I hope I can contribute more effectively in the coming weeks. Once I get this mess straightened out, I will surely share my experience.

I have taken your advice and will search out some people here in Osaka. Problem is my Japanese writing skills need work too :) I'm gonna head downtown now to one of the hobby shops to see if they will help me with the 8FG.

Cheers!

Hi again,

Well, with the help of some nice fellows here in Osaka I hunted down over the internet, I was able to solve the problem I was having. It was an ESC setting procedural problem. This got it flying.

2nd problem that some people mentioned to me in the forums was perhaps the frame. I have a Gaui 330xs extended frame. I will try to get hold of a better frame to fit my 10" props.

Regarding the procedure, there are a number of different ones that are written in the forums, however this is the one that worked for me. :)

Setting the ESC's on the Gaui 330xs (using a Futaba 8FG)

1. While powered off, unplug the green wire going from the GU-344 to channel 5 of the Receiver ('Rx') on the 330xs.

2. Set the Gain dial on the GU-344 to Zero.

3. Turn on transmitter. Set the Throttle end points to 100 for both sides (Go into Linkage Menu, end point, THR, set the two middle numbers to 100)

4. Set the Gear end points to 50 for both sides (Go into Linkage Menu, End Point, GEAR, set the two middle numbers to 50)

5. From here, go to page 17 of the Gaui 500x manual found here: http://helitech-jp.com/download/500X_CH_EN110624.pdf

6. Follow steps 1-4 written in the the boxes shown on page 17.

7. When finished, unplug the 330xs.

8. Plug the green wire back in.

9. Set the Gain dial on the GU-344 to half way (50%).

10. Set the Throttle end points to 80 for both sides (Go into Linkage Menu, end point, THR, set the two middle numbers to 80).

11. THIS WILL VARY DEPENDING ON HOW THE GAUI REACTS. I set the Gear end points to 45 for both sides (Go into Linkage Menu, End Point, GEAR, set the two middle numbers to 45).

Thanks for all your suggestions this past week or so.

Cheers