Sign in to follow this  
ksimeon2000

Best HMD for FPV purposes

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a Head Mounted Display for first person piloting of my rc aircraft. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any clear choice on which one to get.

I had actually decided to get the Olympus FMD-250W, but then discovered that the product line was discontinued. The wide aspect ratio (16:9) is what I found most appealing about these.

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with the various models (glasstron, i-glasses, etc).

Thanks

I have had the best luck with the old i-glasses that use RCA video. I bought

a new set of i-glasses HRV and had nothing but trouble. I then bought an old pair on ebay for $150 and they work great. I also have an phillips scuba visor that does a good job of keeping out the sunlight, but the resolution is low. If you just

need to look at NTSC visdeo than an old pair of i-glasses would be your best bet.

I have the older I-GlassesLC. 180k pixel and they work pretty good. Bright enough to use in full sun and you can wear them with prescription glasses if you wish. paid just over $100 on ebay. The 180k pixel is good for general use, but not clear enough to realy dial in your cameras focus. I have to use a larger tv for that.

I've used Sony's PLM-A35, but with the need of putting a shirt over my head because of the low brightness. Olympus Eyetrek FMD-200 are similar. I've just been able to borrow a set of Sony PLM-S700E. Will normally try them tomorrow. The great difference with these ones is the great resolution, and the see-through feature. The front of the glasses are LCDs that can either be left white which allows you to see the outside world (your model ;) ) with the superimposed video image, or turned black which cuts the light. Don't know yet if it is useful, but I'll tell this soon :)