Sign in to follow this  
amtpdb1

Nav-Lights question

I was wondering if you can use a 12f509 chip to replace the ones mentioned in the article? If you can, (I have not built it yet but tried to program one of the chips) my programmer mentioned the socal value should be movlw-0cxx- instead of the ofxx that it is. If the 12f chip will work, should the change be made to ofxx as mentioned? If the chip cannot be used the question is moot!

I am just getting started with pic's and programming so I am sorry if the question sound stupid.

Thanks in advance.

Don

The PIC12F508 or 509 will work fine. Do not allow your programmer to write the OSCCAL value.

I had already had it write it on the first chip! I erased the chip and put in the blank other chip I had and had it read all the blanks and noted the last part of the blank hex file numbers. I blanked the programed pic and changed the last part that did not change to copy the original blank chip. I then reprogrammed the chip with out changing the osccal value. As I don't know what that is--- I was hoping that when I copied what was in the original blank chip I changed it back. If not, I guess that chip is no good. I thought I read somewhere that if you copied the original blank as I did all would be fine. I am just getting started with pic's as I said before. Question- You mention that you cannot program the chip twice or it is ruined. Is this the case with the 12f chip? You also mentioned (I found this after I did it) that you should not try to verify the chip or that would ruin it also. Is this the same with the 12f chip? My programmer has a fuse setting disabling the write protect. As I figured the chip was already no good, I set the fuse to disable the write protect. I set the programmer and reprogrammed the chip with out the protect and then asked it to verify the program. The programmer said it was programmed correctly! The chip may be junk and I surely don't understand all of this! I will have to set this one up on the breadboard to see if anything works! Any thoughts on my numerous questions? Thanks for your time and I hope I have not asked too many questions.

Thanks again.

Don

As I figured the chip was already no good, I set the fuse to disable the write protect. I set the programmer and reprogrammed the chip with out the protect and then asked it to verify the program. The programmer said it was programmed correctly!

You were able to perform the manual verification with the write protect disabled because it is not possible to perform a manual verify with it enabled. Honestly, there is nothing useful about performing repeat verifies. If the chip was programmed correctly the first time with the write protect enabled (no failure reported when you programmed the part), then there is no need to perform additional manual verifications.

Question: I put everything together on the bread board. Turned everything on. The status light, strobe , and landing lights strobe and the running lights are just on. When I turn off the transmitter, the lights strobe a little slower. I am using a 12f509 and 2n2222 transistors. I am going to check all the test points that I have found in the nav lights posted here tomorrow. Any thoughts as where to start looking? Nothing happens when I move the throttle from low to high or high to low. I tried another chip, but there is no saying it is programmed properly either. The programmer I am using askes about changing 3 different things when I try to program the chips! The way they word it they seem to be double negatives!!! The programmer is trying to program the chip using "this" instead of" that"- do you want to ignore this and stop? WHAT!!

Thanks

I could not wait so I re-hooked everything up and re-armed the unit again and now everything works! I Don't know what is different, but it works!

Thanks for the design!

Don