Sign in to follow this  
Pista

40mm retractable camera turret

Yep very good, just waiting for one that can pop out my G9 now :)

Terry

Very beautiful, I'm amazed at how some people are good at mechanical construction!

I'm not sold on the use though. A downward-looking camera isn't really for piloting, it should at least be able to go horizontal, and it's more useful to be able to tilt it upwards than downwards IMO. So a ball like this is best used for observation, either by a second person or in autopilot mode. BUT for that use, no way I'd use an SD camera anymore... needs to be HD nowadays! Should have been sized for a GoPro ;)

Could be nice coupled to a PicLoc stabilisation system too, but the pan should not be 360°-modified for that, rather using a servo stretcher and 2:1 gearing on the chain. But again, not much point without HD...

Edited by Kilrah

The angle is probably ok for me, I like mine a bit down so I get the horizon about 1/4 from the top. With too much sky the brightness often makes the ground look too dark and it hard to see where you are.

But I agree with Kilrah about the gopro that would be a clear winner!

Terry

Yeah me too, the "problem" is more for turns. For FPV flying I usually like to look inside the turn, which means that when you bank the camera should tilt upwards to maintain the horizon in view.

If only we could get cameras similar to the GoPro but with a remote camera head that is the size of common 25x25mm cameras, and ~20-30cm of highly flexible wire to the recording board...

Edited by Kilrah

Good point, as I don't use a head tracker I didn't think of that but I would think if mounted near the front it would be able to look a bit higher.

For sure a remote head GoPro would be a real winner.

I still keep thinking of lowering out my G9 and twisting it forward like a giant nose leg but never seem to get round to it. I guess its because it works ok the way I have it but one day........

Terry

Edited by Terry