FrSky is limited to 8 channels at this point, it's supposed to be upgraded to 16CH in the future through a firmware update from FrSky. Obviously it will require binding 2 receivers to one TX.

I only want 9-10 channels, which to me isn't worth the baggage of a second Rx. But you never know, perhaps Frsky will surprise us one day with a telemetry compatible Rx that has a couple more channels. In the meantime, I'll try to make do with the 8-channel Rx.

On topic, I received some USBASPs I had ordered some time ago on eBay, and integrated one in my 9x:

The Sparkfun mini-USB breakout board fits perfectly in the little rails at the end of the battery compartment :) No more taking the programmer with me when I go around.

DSC04176_s.jpg

DSC04184_s.jpg

DSC04182_s.jpg

Edited by Kilrah

The Sparkfun mini-USB breakout board fits perfectly in the little rails at the end of the battery compartment ...

Looks like a custom fit. Good find!

The 9x developers have added a powerful voice announce feature. So I used their published information and further hacked my 9x. The voice alerts are awesome. Details are discussed here:

I started modding my third 9x today and encountered a problem that may interest other 9x hackers. After hard-wiring the USBASP programming dongle to the 9x CPU I tried to flash it with Open9x software. The programming repeatedly failed. Each time I tried, AVRDude reported a problem with the CPU's ID code.

After a bit of troubleshooting I found the culprit. The new USBASP dongle I purchased on eBay had series protection resistors on it's four CPU interface signals. So the programming signals were being attenuated due to the combination of these resistors and the ones on the 9x motherboard.

The fix was simple: I removed the resistors (an 8-pin resistor pack) and installed jumper (shorting) wires in their place.

Here's a before picture:

post-2-0-02689300-1357260803_thumb.jpg

Here's after the resistor pack's four resistor positions were replaced with 36 AWG single strand wire:

post-2-0-24583700-1357260828_thumb.jpg

9x CPU programming works great now! :)

Ha, good news, someone who had trouble was actually using the same one :)

It's interesting, because Bertrand also had an usbasp with the resistors and was able to program his 9x's fine with it UNTIL he replaced his MCU with an atmega128 and had no luck. That took some time to troubleshoot as his programmer was "known good" until then... so the blame was initially put pretty much everywhere else before questioning it.

Ah, so others have been bitten by the usbasp resistors. I'm not surprised, but I haven't seen any high profile discussions about this at the 9x forums. Hopefully new 9x mod'ers learn from our trail blazing adventures. :)

By the way, I have a couple other usbasp's and they don't have the unwanted resistors. So there's a bit of lottery luck involved when buying from the eBay suppliers. It's just something to watch for if/when 9x programming does not work.

EDIT: I searched over at the 9x forum and found you posted today about this problem. In case it helps, I added my own thoughts to the discussion.

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2490

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam
Link to 9x discussion.

On my prior two hacked 9x's I installed mini-DIN connectors that were wired to accept an external USBasp adapter for CPU flashing. So those two 9x's share the same programmer. But as you can see in the previous photos in post #106, the latest 9x has a USBasp dongle permanently installed inside the 9x. The USB port access is inside the 9x's battery box. No special reason to do it this way other than I wanted to try something new.

In case anyone is interested, here's the basics:

(1) Buy a $2 mini-B USB extension cable on eBay, like this one:

post-2-0-29884300-1358314940.jpg

(2) Cut off the unneeded right angle USB connector and discard it. What remains is a USB pigtail cable. Strip off the cable's outer sheath to expose the four wires inside. Cut the wires to about 5 inches long. Glue (or tie-wrap) the female USB connector inside the battery box; If you glue it no holes need to be drilled. The cable slips through the existing slot in the plastic case. It will look like this:

post-2-0-14775900-1358309360_thumb.jpg

(3) Unsolder the PCB mounted USB connector from the USBasp and install a 4-pin header connector in its place. Solder the USB cable to a 4-pin mating connector; The 4-pin can unplug from the USBasp to allow easy 9x service access.

post-2-0-55655900-1358309510_thumb.jpg

That's the basics -- I'll leave the minute details to you. :)

Hi Thomas,

Ive been following your hack to fit DIY rf telemtry mod. I see in post 5 on the first image the brown white and yellow connections which find their way onto the CPU board. Beside these 3 wires i see a red one , is this 5v for the Telemetry side

and where did you connect this red wire. Pics only show the Brown,white and yellow.

Thanks

Les

I see in post 5 on the first image the brown white and yellow connections which find their way onto the CPU board. Beside these 3wires i see a red one , is this 5v for the Telemetry side ...?

The red wire you see is not used. On my four wire cable, only the Brown, White, and Yellow wires are connected to the CPU as shown in the very first post.

Thanks,now i can get on with building your hub and gps.

Les

P.S Do you know why was there a 5v pin on the module which had the Rx TX gnd and 5v connections.

P.S Do you know why was there a 5v pin on the module which had the Rx TX gnd and 5v connections.

The voltage pin can be used to power a RS232 to TTL convertor. But the purpose of my mod is to eliminate the TTL conversion, so the power pin is unused.

While I was developing my 9x mods I included the extra red wire in case I needed to power something. But that was never needed so at the moment it is an orphan wire.

Thanks Thomas,

Thought thats what it might have been for. I've done it your way and my audio module is all fitted and working.

I suppose to check my telemetry mode i can put a dc voltage on one of my analogue inputs on the receiver

and should be able to read it on my 9x?.

Les

Also, the FrSky's RSSI data that is sent will confirm you have the 9x's telemetry feature working.

Thanks,

Did a check and RSSI data is readable, placed a 1.3v cell on a1 and set offset and voltage read correctly. Now i can start

on Hub assembly.

Les

Did a check and RSSI data is readable, placed a 1.3v cell on a1 and set offset and voltage read correctly.

Awesome! You are going to enjoy using FrSky's telemetry with the 9x's voice alerts. It is extremely useful.

Thomas,

I'm currently assembling the Hub and wanted to ask before i solder the pic in place. I'm assuming i can program it via the

iSCP header?. I was thinking of using the programmer used for flashing the 9x(using ponyprog) software, my one has the setting for 3.3v. Would this be suitable.

One last question, what programmer would be best to use to reset defaults in the PA6b and can this be done with the GPS module

assembled?.

I also have a PIC2kit, would this be better for doing the PIC.

Thanks

Les

Edited by iwik

I'm currently assembling the Hub and wanted to ask before i solder the pic in place. I'm assuming i can ... {Snip-Snip}

All good questions. There's a dedicated discussion on the DiY GPS-Hub. I have replied to your questions there.

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3842-diy-frsky-gps-hub/

I performed the Horizontal Trim "ground bounce" mod on one of the 9x transmitters. I'll do the other when time permits. This is a maintenance fix that is not mandatory on stock 9x transmitters, but is a recommended reliability update. Details are discussed here:

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=3594

I used 1K 0805 SMD resistors.

Left Stick:

post-2-0-31436200-1379527141_thumb.jpg

Right Stick:

post-2-0-02935600-1379527151_thumb.jpg

HI Folks.
First post so be kind :)

I do special effects as a hobby and have a Turnigy 9Xr  transmitter/receiver.  I am a little confused about some of the R/C terms but I can program Arduino's and use servos.
What I want to try and do is to tap into the  Turnigy transmitter module  and bypass all of the controls on the front. From my PC I will create a list of servo positions and pass these to the Arduino which will then send them to the reciever via the transmitter. In time I will be recording these sequences inside the Arduino so I can play them back when I want.

I have Googled this and am getting a lot of confusion re  Modding and Hacking the Turnigy when all I really want to do is to bypass it all together and just send from the Arduino to the Transmitter module.

Can anyone help with links etc.
Many thanks
Dave

What I want to try and do is to tap into the  Turnigy transmitter module  and bypass all of the controls on the front. From my PC I will create a list of servo positions and pass these to the Arduino which will then send them to the reciever via the transmitter. In time I will be recording these sequences inside the Arduino so I can play them back when I want.

You can use the DSC trainer port to do it.

http://flitetest.com/articles/turnigy-9xr-how-to-use-as-trainer-open9x

Arduino example using DSC port: