Devonian

KX-550 / KPC-VSN505NHB / SN777 camera repair - help needed

I am repairing a KX-550 / KPC-VSN505NHB / SN777 camera for a friend (yes, really!).

For clarity, it's this one...

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cameras/sn777-kx550-5v-sony-13-ccd-550-lines-0.05-lux

He connected it to a 12v supply instead of the required 5v by accident and let the magic smoke out.

The pics below are from a known good camera I am using for comparison/checks.

One LDO regulator was obviously burned (Z330J in pic below) and I replaced it with a TC107R - a 3v3 LDO.

When applying 5v, the camera now produces a black screen on my LCD, but no image.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weighs 134KB. SN777-1.jpg

When checking against a known good camera, I found the chip ( IB3AE in the pic below) has different voltages.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weighs 93KB. SN777-2.jpg

Voltage readings are:

Top 2 pins 4.8v on both cameras

Lower left pin, good cam =2.5v bad cam = 4.7v

Lower right pin, good cam = 1.25v bad cam = 0.3v

Lower centre pin is ground

The input connector is at lower right of the above pic and the very bottom right pin is the 5v input.

The lower right leg of IB3AE goes to a via and re-appears as marked in the first pic and connects to a resistor (lower right of pic).

Anyone any idea what the chip IB3AE is and a suitable replacement?

Nigel.

The above is a cut/paste of a post I made on RCG, but was rather hoping MR RC-Cam and others might have an input...

Edited by Devonian

I tend to agree that the part is a voltage regulator. You should also check the two diodes at ZD1 and the diode at D2.

Keep in mind that over-voltage stress can be quite destructive and that the damage can extend to many other chips. So repair success can be a challenge.