Diyguy

Automatic landing system?

Been away from the forum awhile, working on other projects, so not sure what new innovations have been developed. I've been intrigued by the idea of an ALS used in some full sized craft. I noticed one day on a robotics site, several versions of a light beam tracking robot, or at least a black line on the ground. Wondering if an aircraft could be made to track a light beam from the ground, like a laser beam, at least as far as rudder control, perhaps as a starting point? Think it's possible? Bill

dhawk - new member as of 092113:

I have a BTA magnetometer/compass used in a UAV automatic landing system we developed under an SBIR contract in the 1990s for the U. S. Army Missile Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama.

The system used a precision approach mode with automatic localizer and glide slope control to guide a UAV down the center of a portable ground based microwave beam source to a precise landing.

It used a Luneburg lens/transmitter unit that could be parachuted in on the back of special forces, placed in a field, and automatically land UAVs. It had tone modulated signals that provided up/down/left/right steering to an analog auto pilot we built. We were RF/analog guys with no digital experience and no funding to hire digital engineers, thus the analog autopilot

I found this sight because of a Google search to see if I could find a pin out (see attached) on the BTA unit and it listed Thomas's "Auto Pilot" for sale back in 2005 (I Think it was 2005).

Took a while to go from that to this site, and then I saw the questions on automatic landings. How fortunate to find someone with a common interest.

After a very successful demonstration, Special Forces asked if the steering could be displayed on an ADI and provide ILS like steering. The system was modified in 6 working days and taken to Kelly AFB in San Antonio Texas where 6 military pilots flew the system side by side with the Kelly ILS system.

It got glowing remarks - Unfortunately, GPS was beginning to appear on the scene and funding was diverted to R&D on GPS systems for UAVs.

There was no requirement, but we added a capability to land the UAV controlled only by a gyro and compass, should the lens/transmitter fail or be destroyed. The compass and gyro held the UAV on whatever heading it was on and it slowly descended at a slow sink rate until it landed.

Ever since, I have wanted to use some of these concepts for an RC auto-land capability. I’ve been consulting, but hope to retire in Nov/Dec. I would like to pursue that and will check in for some ideas -

But, to the BTA mag/compass, any idea where I could get the pin out on this unit?

Thanks

ghawk

Texas

BTA.pdf

post-24685-0-56524500-1379791658_thumb.j

But, to the BTA mag/compass, any idea where I could get the pin out on this unit?

See attached.

post-2-0-46078000-1379799361_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-71431200-1379799412_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-92050600-1379799438_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-93120900-1379799458_thumb.jpg