Mr.RC-Cam

9X R/C Tx Voice Hacks / Speak-9X Interface Project Blog

Thomas,

Ok I think I have found the problem - it's not the datasetup time but the start pulse width.

A review of the SOMO-14D data sheet (rev 5) showed the following:

Start bit pulse width 2mS min (tstart)

Write Datasetup 1uS min (this seems to be at odds with your figure of 125uS) (tds)

Clock High/low width 100uS min (tch/tcl)

The Open9x firmware for the Gruvin board has a very low datasetup period of 250nS - on my test rig I couldn't get the voice board to fail however low I went (probably 125nS min).

The start bit measured on my Gruvin board is 1.5mS but in my tests the voice module fails at 1.6mS min. As the somo14d.cpp comments that it is set for start and stop times of 2mS I'm not sure what is going on here. My knowledge of C firmware is very rudimentary so I can't verify the comment.

I also found that the Clock pulse width needs to be a minimum of 175uS (total clock period of 350uS) otherwise it would consistently miss one file in a sequence of voicing 256 files. It fails totally at less than 20uS - I haven't tried replacing that one file it fails upon so the 175us may not be quite correct. I did not measure the clock pulse on the gruvin board but I suspect it is much longer so I don't think that is an issue.

I hope someone will be able to check their gruvin board and the somo14d.cpp file and do me a recompiled version - I have posted in the 9x forum. I'll keep you posted,

regards Peter

Edited by pseddon

Good to hear you found the issue. The Gruvin9x developers will surely fix you up with working code.

A review of the SOMO-14D data sheet (rev 5) showed the following:

Start bit pulse width 2mS min (tstart)

Write Datasetup 1uS min (this seems to be at odds with your figure of 125uS) (tds)

Clock High/low width 100uS min (tch/tcl)

Regarding SOMO14D's data setup spec of 1uS, it appears to be either a typo or a wild-guess from them. Waytronic (the chip manufacturer) uses 50uS min setup in their examples. Even though the 1uS setup works with your module, I recommend following Waytronic's examples. Otherwise the next guy may be back in your shoes when their voice module does not work in their Gruvin9X.

I also found that the Clock pulse width needs to be a minimum of 175uS (total clock period of 350uS) otherwise it would consistently miss one file in a sequence of voicing 256 files.

This is interesting. The Waytronic spec is 200uS total clock period minimum. Open9x uses 250uS and is very reliable. It could be due to many things, but maybe your observation is a side affect of the short data setup time.

Good news!!!

Looks like changing the start bit pulse width to 2mS has fixed my problem as the 9x now talks to me.

I should point out I am using a gruvin board so it is a somewhat unusual setup.

I have been reading a lot on this voice mod trying to understand it. I have a couple questions on it,

1. is there a direct link to install this board, with needed materials? the 9xforum thread is huge, and ive read about 40 of 105 pages still confused.

2. is the new board one small board, or 2?

3. will this work/fit with the new 9xr? i have found little to no info on this.

Thanks!

1. The VoiceHowTo.pdf is the main instructions to building the interface. It is in the first post of the 9x voice discussion:

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=948

2. The interface circuit shown there is built on a piece of perfboard and the voice module is connected to it. Please see the photos in the VoiceHowTo.pdf.

3. I don't own a 9xr so I can't offer any advice on it.

Can you please PM me with your paypal address and total for two boards. Idid my 9x mods a little different so I should have enough room for channel expansion even after I install the voice mod:

Thanks, your boards have shipped.

I just completed the build on my first Speak 9X board and it sounds great. I am using a speaker from a northern telecom business type speaker phone. Its 24 ohms, huge magnet, about 2" in diameter, made in Germany. You can find boxes of these analog phones at electronics surplus shops for pennies. They are full of high end audio parts...op amps, transformers, mics, speakers etc.

I have converted the voice files from my Jeti DC-16 transmitter to 8 bit, unsigned, 11K wave files and I get a white noise/squelch sound at the end of each voice. I thought that this was the target format...is there anything else I need to do to get rid of this noise?

Thanks,

MosFetMan

For creating 9x voice files I have had good success with Audacity using these settings:

• 16000hz Sample.
  • +7db gain.
  • Export: Other uncompressed files, options wav, encoding Unsigned 8-bit PCM.

I trim the source wave files to eliminate leading and trailing silence. Also, there is a Audacity equalization curve that a 9x user created that is posted here:

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=948&p=26362&hilit=equalization#p26408

The 9x's voice announcements have been a game changer for me. It has replaced my need for an OSD. To make it a complete solution I've recently added voice recognition for activating my Quadcopter's flight modes.

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3949-9x-rc-tx-hack-voice-recognition-project-blog/

Perhaps one day the voice announcement / voice recognition combination will be standard R/C Tx features. :)

One of the talented folks that developed hardware upgrades for the 9x was hired by Hobbyking to add more features to the Turnigy 9XR transmitter. Plus the open source software developers have embraced it too. The revamped 9XR Pro has voice announcements and telemetry.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__51441__Turnigy_9XR_PRO_Radio_Transmitter_Mode_2_without_module_.html

I'm still very happy with my modified 9X (it gets a lot of use) and have no desire to try the 9XR Pro. However the $100 USD price is a fantastic value.