Sign in to follow this  
Terry

better than a quad?

Thomas has a 5dBi patch that works fine. I have higher gain helicals I got about a month ago, but the ridiculous weather didn't allow me to test them yet...

I would be looking for 12dBi or so maybe more. The video link I posted should be live in about half an hour.

Terry

OK maybe I should give CP a go, I dont have a need for it as my video feed is almost drop free anyway but just maybe I dont know what Im missing!

Your flights involve a stable airframe flown in wide open areas, so that is why your linear polarized antennas do fine (and CP is not necessary). But if you ever get into schoolyard/park flying, or fly near structures, then CP will cure the common problems from those environments.

I do take off from near some electricity pylons which cause a few glitches but once out and away they dont cause much trouble. Is it worth making a good helical do you think? Are there any well documented tried and tested DIY designs on the net?

Terry

Is it worth making a good helical do you think?

You'll need circular polarized at both ends. Typical 5.8GHz FPV solutions uses a Skew Planar wheel (or a 3-lobe CloverLeaf) on the Tx.

Are there any well documented tried and tested DIY designs on the net?

Skew Planar Wheels: http://www.rcgroups....d.php?t=1388264

+10 dBi Crosshair: http://www.rcgroups....d.php?t=1587047

+13 dBi Helical: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377791

You'll need circular polarized at both ends.

Yeah I know :)

The crosshair dossnt look to be possable for 5.8Ghz.

It seems around 12dBi is the limit for CP aerials!

Has anyone got more? I take it a feed horn would not work? I dont want to use dishes they are too bulky!

I have a pair of 16dBi patches which I want to build into an auto tracker but would like to try CP if I can find something as good.

Terry

The 5.8GHz crosshair is possible, at least this FPV product indicates that it is:

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10_39_80&products_id=904

I think the reason we haven't seen CP gains greater than +12dBi is because the dedicated fellows that develop the DiY Antenna Build Guides are not concentrating on such things. I know you're lusting for uber gain vRx antennas, but it would be interesting to see what you experience with a properly made +12dBi CP solution.

Well I cant say Im not tempted to build 10T helical just to see, would one of those SpiroNet aerials be ok on the plane, they look strong enough to hang out the bottom:)

Terry

IRC's Spironet antenna has a plastic radome that helps it tolerate some abuse. But even so, it is important to protected it from expected impacts. There's some photos here that show some details:

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/5.8GHz-spiroNET-Antenna-System-RHCP.html

Yes they look just the job, I just want it to fold back on landing like my dipoles do.

I think I will have to get a set after Christmas to play with :)

Terry

Im going to continue over in the 4 way thread as this has gone seriously OT.

Terry

Hi, first post on here! I have pledged for the omega dragonfly and I was/am sceptical about a lot of their claims but I have a feeling that most of them will ring true, I hope! can't imagine the video being smooth but other than that I think it will be like a micro much more stable equivalent of what the ar drone does but with the option to use 2.4 ghz rc as well should be fun to find out end of this year regardless! :)

I'd like to see how they behave while flapping around outside with some wind. :)

Yes thats where the real challenge is. If you watch a real dragonfly its rock solid in almost any wind but doing that in software......

Terry

R.I.P.

Despite raising over $1M USD in their crowd funding in 2013, it appears that the Robot Dragonfly project is dead. Their performance promises were a bit extraordinary so there are no surprises that full production never materialized. And for those that are not willing to give up, the Robot Dragonfly web site has a waiting list you can join. Good luck with that.