Terry

Which camera do you use for AP?

I have been using my Canon G9 for a few years now and been very happy with the results but I am wondering is there smaller/lighter camera that gives similar results available now?

What camera are you using and why?

Terry

I was using an old Optio S40 that died last year. Despite its low cost it was a reasonable camera for aerial hobby use on my small R/C foamy airplane. Before that I was using a Sony U20, which was remarkable only for its small size (it was only 2MP, the holy grail 12 years ago). Nowadays it seems everyone is using the GoPro Hero because it has affordable HD quality video (and with YouTube's help, video now dominates still photos). You're probably looking for a "professional" class still camera solution, which would be way past my budget. :)

I dont like the gopro much, fish eye and jellow and yes I am looking for a good stills camera. Not pro class but I want if possible to match or better the G9 quality in a lighter camera. It seems to me that with the fast rate of progress in digital cameras there must be something better or lighter by now????

I do have a couple of ideas but I dont want to post them just yet...

Terry

I have the G12 as a 'point n shoot' and love it - even the wife can take decent photo's with it.

I recently gave my G5 to my youngest.

I used to have a G7 as well.

Have you tried the G15 Terry?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g15/3

I was tempted as it's smaller than my G12, but Canon fixed the LCD panel as per the G7/G9 and I like the flip out panel for those obscure shots.

I guess it very much depends on your requirements and budget.

There are better cameras, but I like Canon!

Nigel.

Hi Nigel, I'm really looking for something a little lighter or better than my G9 that I use on my planes now.

The G12 is only 10mp and the G15 is 12.1mp the same as the G9 I'm using now. I know mp's are not the whole story but for AP on a sunny day it is high on the list compared to normal everyday use.

My main camera is a Lumix GX1 which is 16mp with changeable lenses and is not 'silly heavy' for putting in the air but I was hoping to find something lighter. It seems in many ways its going to be hard to find a replacement for my trusty G9!

Your right about the handy flip out panel though, it was very handy on my G2 :)

Terry

The NEX5? seems very good but Im not sure it is any lighter is it?

What I was hoping for was like for like image quality in a lighter package but that means a point and shoot and I dont want to buy one that looks good on paper only to find its not up to the job.

Terry

NEX-7 actually for the paid jobs, had it for a bit more than a year. It's not lighter than a P&S of course, but it's a nice big 24MP APS-C DSLR sensor in half the weight of a DSLR :)

The NEX-5R is a good compromise now. With either the 16mm pancake lens or the new 16-50 "powerzoom" that is light too but can easily be controlled with a servo that moves the rocker.

Edited by Kilrah

Thanks, yes Im starting to think that getting G9 performance in a lighten package is a dead end. I will probably stick with the G9 for the moment although I have a Lumix GX1 with a 20mm lense that may well be the next step. I just thought that so many years on with the fast pace of progress in digital cameras it would have been easy to find a lighter replacement but everybody I have spoken to says no.

Terry