Sign in to follow this  

I thought I would start the ball rolling on this and maybe some others may join in :)

I decided to swap out the FY90Q controller on my quad as although after many hours of fiddling with the settings and such it was flying ok it was still not as good as others I have seen. I chose the NAZA unit as it seemed to have the highest level of good reports at a reasonable price and also had the option of GPS position hold which is ideal for my AP.

I received the unit and swapped it with no hassle then read though the manual setting up the basic requirements. I went outside after charging the battery expecting it to want to do all sorts of tricks on its own but after lift off it just sat there solid as a rock. I was very surprised after all the problems I had with the FY unit but it seems this is a very well sorted bit of kit :)

Due to bad weather I have not had a chance to do much flying but I have had a little play just to get to know how it works. The position hold in a light breeze was very good with height and position remaining within a foot or so but drifting about 5ft when I yaw 360. I also took it out in a gusty 10-15mph wind and position hold again was good but tended to circle in a 10ft diameter as the gusts took it but at no point did it look like it was out of control. The 360 yaw in the gusts was not so good however and twice I had to take back control as it got carried away with the wind. Im guessing that I need to makes some adjustments to cure this but Im not sure where to start.

There is an odd setting where you are required to tell the NAZA how far the C of G is from the GPS unit which I have set as best I can but maybe that is causing a problem? To be honest I dont really know why it needs to know as the GPS is not accurate enough to pick up this error is it?

post-16-0-98103000-1360082925_thumb.jpg

They dont really seem to have a convincing argument for the GPS offset settings on that link but I will keep looking for an explanation.

Its gusting over 50mph at the moment so no chance to fly.

Terry

Quick update!

I'm still having problems with 360 yaw in windy conditions, tried resetting the compass and adjusting the gps offsets but still not any better, will keep trying though.

I did also have a play with the fail safe RTH, it worked well right up to the point where it refused to auto land. It came down from about 100ft to around 20ft then just hovered until I took over manual control.

I also checked the current draw in flight as I only have 10A ESC's but it hovers at 14A with no camera so no panic there as I was expecting to see 20A or more.

Terry

That's fantastic. I have been thinking of the buying the NAZA board, but have put it off in case the MWC developers create a miracle software upgrade. There's still hope, but if the holy grail is not found soon I may have to flex my credit card a bit. :)

The pc program that links to the controller with a simple USB cable looks for updates automatically every time you open it so any updates for either the pc side or the controller side should not be missed. So far I am very impressed :)

Terry

Just did a hover test with my trusty G9 on board and the current was 21A so 7A more than without the camera, sort of wondering why people are using big controllers. On the down side I found the low voltage protection came in very early at about 50% of the pack used so I may just set it very low or off and rely on my stopwatch as normal.

Terry

There is an odd setting where you are required to tell the NAZA how far the C of G is from the GPS unit which I have set as best I can but maybe that is causing a problem? To be honest I dont really know why it needs to know as the GPS is not accurate enough to pick up this error is it?

Not the GPS, but the magnetometer that is also in the GPS's housing yes!

The Naza is perfect for my uses as well. Precise enough control so that you can forget about the actual flying and just concentrate on the imaging side of the thing (if that's what you're after of course), while still being a nice pure machine in manual mode :)

Yes a very good controller for sure but tell me, do you get a nice 360 on the spot or dose it tend to drift in the wind?

Terry

I was out testing some video gear today using the quad as the platform for the TX and an odd thing happened, twice!

The first time I was at the limit of visual range so I turned off my TX to get the quad to return which it did but when it got in close I turned on my TX to get manual control and nothing happened, it just continued to auto land, is this right?

The second time I did the same thing and it just held position and failed to return at all, in the end I had to run over to it and take manual control which worked ok and I flew it back and landed safely. Any ideas anyone?

Terry

I can't answer your question since I don't have a NAZA. But generally speaking, it is not wise to turn off the RC link for casual RTH operation. Can you setup a switch instead?

I only have 7 channels but it was just as much a confidence check of the fail safe which it sort of failed a bit :(

Terry

The first time I was at the limit of visual range so I turned off my TX to get the quad to return which it did but when it got in close I turned on my TX to get manual control and nothing happened, it just continued to auto land, is this right?

If your mode switch is still in GPS mode, yes. You have to exit GPS mode to regain manual control (switch to ATTI, then back to GPS).

The second time I did the same thing and it just held position and failed to return at all, in the end I had to run over to it and take manual control which worked ok and I flew it back and landed safely. Any ideas anyone?

Are you sure it was still configured to return instead of just holding?

Thanks Kilrah I did find some info on how to get it of failsafe mode but it seemed a little confused with some claiming you had to go to manual mode and others saying cycle the switch and such. I will have a try next time I take it out.

On the second flight where it just held position I had only swapped the battery, everything else was the same so I was surprised it didnt return. I wish now that I had cycled the mode switch and tried again to see if it would return but as it was I just put it in atti and flew it back manually.

I take it you have not had any odd behaviour from yours?

Terry

Nope, the few times I've triggered the failsafe it worked as expected. That was always using a switch to bring the U channel in the FS zone though, not turning the radio off. But in my case it shouldn't matter as my receiver's failsafe is programmed to do exactly that.

What radio system do you have and how is your failsafe configured?

Edited by Kilrah

Im using a Futaba 7C and an Orange receiver with the FS on the rx going to FS position on the U channel when switched off. I have been using the combination on my planes and FY21 with no problems. I have a T8FG now which I will be using when I reconfigure it as a Hexa but will keep it as it is while Im testing everything.

Terry