Sign in to follow this  
flyby

Hello and some questions from a newb to get things rolling.

Hello everybody.

I'm new to fpv and am in the process of buying componenets.

I already bought a camera and a set of lawmate 1.2 tx\rx.

I live in a valley in the mountains on theoutskirts of town and am surrounded by mostly trees.

I haven't bought googles

I wear glasses and am farsighted.

My questions would be:

What kind of goggle would suit me best? I was leaning towards the dominators.

What kind of antenna's should I be looking for? I want 5-6db gain.

Plus I want OSD for distance, heading, altitude, voltage, airspeed, etc.

Thanks

1. A typical far-sighted condition should be fine with FatShark Dominators.

2. Lawmate's stock monopole antennas have low performance. On 1.2GHz installations a common antenna upgrade is a 2-3 dBi omni dipole on vTx, +8dBi Patch on vRx. It is important to choose antennas that are tuned to the 1.2GHz frequency you are using. So pay close attention to the antenna specs before you buy them.

3. Endless OSD choices are out there that can provide the telemetry data you mentioned. The choice is really up to your budget. Long time favorites are EagleTree and RangeVideo. If you are brave and don't care about support, then there are plenty of cheap OSD systems sold by China based FPV Vendors. Research customer feedback before you make your final decision.

• Like 1

2. Lawmate's stock monopole antennas have low performance. On 1.2GHz installations a common antenna upgrade is a 2-3 dBi omni dipole on vTx, +8dBi Patch on vRx. It is important to choose antennas that are tuned to the 1.2GHz frequency you are using. So pay close attention to the antenna specs before you buy them.
Will THIS one work well?, ....also do I need some kind of filter ...2.4/1.2=2 exactly.
( ...working on my HAM but haven't learned everything yet. )
Thanks so much for the info.

No experience with that exact patch antenna. But I will say that every China made patch I've tested did not meet their advertised specs. And since it appears you're on a low budget, and this is a DiY forum, I suggest you consider building your own. The rc-cam Goof Proof Patch works great, is easy to build, and material cost is under $15.

A low pass filter on the antenna port will help reduce radiated interference to nearby 2.4GHz R/C and/or GPS receivers.

No experience with that exact patch antenna. But I will say that every China made patch I've tested did not meet their advertised specs. And since it appears you're on a low budget, and this is a DiY forum, I suggest you consider building your own. The rc-cam Goof Proof Patch works great, is easy to build, and material cost is under $15.

A low pass filter on the antenna port will help reduce radiated interference to nearby 2.4GHz R/C and/or GPS receivers.

I don't know how you got the impression I'm on a low budget, I'm not, but saving money is always a good thing, so I'm willing. I am however still flailing because I get conflicting information everywhere I ask. I intend to buy dominator goggles but was told that they only work on 5.8, which I believe is false. Now I'm told from different sources that I can't use 1000mw lawmates because it will drown out my navigation signals. I was also told that lawmates are premium equipment and twice as expensive than other stuff which is why I'm confused about the low budget thing. In any case, it's hard to tell what to believe so I bought a book and a black sheep 5.8rx for the doms. At this rate, by the time I can FPV, I might have enough stuff to build several of them. ...also, I love DIY and am already building aircraft suitable for FPV, a Super Sky Surfer for example. I feel like thanking you for every reply but I don't want to wear out the thankyou button, so ...Thanks!

Its always hard to give exact answers when you only have limited info, there are so many ways to mix and match the huge amount of equipment available these days.

Budget

Range

Type of flying

Duration

Terrain

Required quality of video

Not forgetting if you have the luxury of a helper all effect what you need.

In most cases its best to copy a known good set up or just start with basic low range gear.

Terry

I don't know how you got the impression I'm on a low budget, I'm not, but saving money is always a good thing, so I'm willing.

Your links to the two China vendors are what made me think you are on a tight budget. But even if money is not an issue, building your own 1.2 GHz patch antenna is not difficult. As I mentioned, this is a DiY forum so my advice tends to swing that way

Its always hard to give exact answers when you only have limited info,

Agreed! The devil is in the details. Besides Terry's listed items, it's also good to know the exact video system frequencies you expect to use, what model you are flying, and the R/C system frequency.

I am however still flailing because I get conflicting information everywhere I ask.

You will indeed get mixed signals when you ask for FPV advice. It's the same issue if you go to a car forum and ask what brand of tires to put on your car. :) As far as using a 1.2GHz vRX with the Dominators, the instruction manual is the place to go for the answer. As noted on page 5, if you turn off the internal receiver (if installed) the goggle's AV jack becomes a general purpose video input for use with ANY composite video source (which means you can use any good quality FPV receiver with them).

http://www.fatshark.com/uploads/pdf/1722-1.pdf

In most cases its best to copy a known good set up or just start with basic low range gear.

And a bit more fatherly advice/comments. I've seen guys spend months on the forums and never get started because the advice is so varied. I've also seen guys ignore basic advice and give up after a few failed attempts. So do what you can to sort through the forum advice, then start small and build upon your successes.

You will indeed get mixed signals when you ask for FPV advice. It's the same issue if you go to a car forum and ask what brand of tires to put on your car. :) As far as using a 1.2GHz vRX with the Dominators, the instruction manual is the place to go for the answer. As noted on page 5, if you turn off the internal receiver (if installed) the goggle's AV jack becomes a general purpose video input for use with ANY composite video source (which means you can use any good quality FPV receiver with them).

http://www.fatshark.com/uploads/pdf/1722-1.pdf

And a bit more fatherly advice/comments. I've seen guys spend months on the forums and never get started because the advice is so varied. I've also seen guys ignore basic advice and give up after a few failed attempts. So do what you can to sort through the forum advice, then start small and build upon your successes.

> Your links to the two China vendors are what made me think you are on a tight budget. But even if money is not an issue, building your own 1.2 GHz patch antenna is not difficult. As I mentioned, this is a DiY forum so my advice tends to swing that way.

That would make for two steep learning curves. I'm not scared.

>Agreed! The devil is in the details. Besides Terry's listed items, it's also good to know the exact video system frequencies you expect to use, what model you are flying, and the R/C system frequency.

This is what I'm trying to figure out now. I have several radio's including an old school futaba 72mhz but I'd like to have a uhf radio at some point.

> And a bit more fatherly advice/comments. I've seen guys spend months on the forums and never get started because the advice is so varied. I've also seen guys ignore basic advice and give up after a few failed attempts. So do what you can to sort through the forum advice, then start small and build upon your successes.

I'm not above fatherly advice. Bring it on! I am old enough to be a grandpa though. ...I'm not going to give up. All I need is a success to build upon. :)

Thanks again guys