Mr.RC-Cam

"FPV" is being trademarked!

It seems that a USA trademark application is currently being processed for the term "FPV". Even more surprising is the name of the applicant.
http://trademarks.justia.com/859/51/fpv-85951630.html

More information is shown at the uspto.gov site (use TESS's basic word mark search feature and search for FPV). The trademark is being assigned to goods and services as follows: "Video camera attached to an unmanned, remote controlled aircraft. Image stabilization, video communication and display hardware and accessories giving person on the ground real time view from remote controlled aircraft"

I've trademarked a few products and the process takes several months. I wonder what the intent of this trademark will be if it is granted?

• Like 1

If the trademark is granted as-is, commercial use of the letter combination "FPV" would belong to the trademark owner. If he is not interested in enforcing ownership then life goes on uninterrupted. Otherwise, the impact could get messy for some businesses / organizations that use this letter combination, which may include some FPV forum operators.

So it all depends on the applicant's intentions. But Val has been missing from the FPV hobby for many years, so it is hard to guess what he in planning to do. BTW, it would be grand to see him come back to the hobby. I think his flying buddy Raja is still active and I recall that Raja is the fellow that coined the term First Person View (but I could be wrong). These little details are fuzzy since it was a long time ago.

Hmm, I thought if something was in general use it could not be claimed!

As for the first time the term FPV was mentioned I thought it was Dennis that first said it but as you say its all a bit fuzzy...

Terry

Well, I know if a trademark application is for something that could be confused with another one that is already protected then it will be denied. That's happened to me. But the only prior trademark related to FPV is Hobby Lobby's "Pilot View FPV." But that trademark was never granted because Hobby Lobby did not complete the process. So from what I can see, there's no prior protected examples in the USA trademark database.

BTW, anyone that is concerned about trademarking "FPV" can send their comments to the trademark office during the applicant's review period.

Pretty strange.

I have had a few great exchanges with Val in the past - he's the one who got me hooked to FPV more than 10 years ago in the first place (even if it was already by the time his activity in the field had started to dwindle), and I'm still grateful for it. I still have the e-mails from 2003.

I hope it's not the same as several other cases that I've witnessed of people who just go through bad days at some point, and instead of getting through them and/or talking to people to get some help become isolated and try to cling onto whatever they did in the past to try to value themselves.

Val if you read this - don't waste your money on that (I did at some point, Denis did too), and rather come and have a chat, the field sure has changed a lot, but if you forget the few morons that eventually riddle any activity it's still as good as it gets, and a little bit of creativity like in the old days is still able to make things go forward in the good direction :)

Edited by Kilrah

I agree, it would be awesome to see Val (cyberflyer) return to the hobby and enchant us with more cool stuff. Another missing person is Bill Strong (yb2normal). Both were talented and helped develop the FPV hobby. Over the years I've wondered about them, and a few other missing creative people that hung around here.

The greatest names from the past there, those were the days. I know I should move on to the new era of FPV...

Terry

Update: The trademark database's Sep-25-2013 status shows that the assigned attorney entered a "NON-FINAL ACTION WRITTEN" remark (refusal to register trademark as submitted). This does not automatically end the application and appeal and/or changes are still possible. But it would be an uphill battle.

Hello guys!

It's being long time for me out of the hobby. And the google search took me here today.

Yes indeed I have applied for the trademark. Not because I want to chase someone, but I don't want anybody else using it for a commercial profit. And yes at this point the govt attorney came back and said that "FPV" is too generic to be used as a trademark. So I have one option and little time left to figure out if I want to continue.

Anyway, it's nice to see the same people here. This hobby has grown huge!

Cheers to everybody!

Val.

Hello Val!

Not many of the original rc-cam members are still active in the hobby. So it's great to hear from our old pals.

Although we were a small group long ago, we did a thorough job of promoting the FPV name into the global lexicon. So it's become a very generic term for our hobby.

And yes, the hobby has grown to insane popularity. I don't believe many FPV'ers have a clue about how difficult this hobby was back when we all started. Nowadays it can be as simple as clicking a BUY button at a online FPV shop. There's no challenge in that kind of experience for me, so I still do as much DiY as my time allows. Too bad you've moved on since I miss the cool stuff you used to do. :)

- Thomas

Hi guys,

thank you for kind words! I didn't move on, I don't think I ever will, I just don't have as much time as I used to.

I still fly my FPV setup every time I have an opportunity.

I agree, majority of challenges and the fun to solve them is mostly gone now. I have decided to trademark FPV after I saw the letters came across on my Bloomberg at work!

Hey, cool to hear from you again :)

Yes probably too late for trademarking - it's already been used in the entire world for a good 6 years now, both casually and commercially and even became the standard in other languages...

I think it's still possible to find challenges in niche fields... for me it's mostly the micro sized stuff. Very cool to fly a 9-cm quad in stereoscopic vision, not something everybody's doing or is capable of setting up regardless of available gear :)

06_zpse3bf0073.jpg

And of course just the fun of flying, but managing to make something that perfectly fits just that flying style you want to achieve at the moment. Even if it might seem easy, it isn't always. I currently have a mini H quad that's a real blast to fly around in just about any style you want while carrying an HD camera and being small enough to carry everywhere, but it's been since October that I'm still trying to change components and settings to get just the video steadiness that I want...

Then the Oculus Rift are on the list, with better immersion than ever with an FOV that completely surrounds even your peripheral vision and will be interesting to try... still some fun things ahead :)

Point taken Kilrah, for you Im happy that you still enjoy new challenges :) you have always been interested in 3d video and such. For me my main interest has always been AP and this area is dominated by multi copters and the legislation has now made it almost pointless. I do have AP projects on my building list and one day they may come to life but to be honest they are low priority. Always good to see something different though so please share your projects here, I dont often venture to other forums now as 99% of it is just not interesting.

Terry

Edited by Terry

I didn't move on, I don't think I ever will, I just don't have as much time as I used to.

I still fly my FPV setup every time I have an opportunity.

And I think a lot of early innovators have chosen to keep a low profile in the current socio-regulatory climate. Nice hearing from you again.

--Bill