Terry

Multirotors are dangerous?

Along time ago when FPV and AP started we were all worried about our slow sticks or easy stars crashing into someone or something and the bad press that would follow. Well I think that in those days we were all pretty safe but with the explosion in multirotors things are not looking so good as it seems crashes with injury are on the increase.

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/16/photographer-flies-his-drone-camera-into-the-grooms-head-during-a-bridal-shoot/

Terry

What's even more dangerous are the idiots posting their R/C crashes online.

Couple of points:

(1) It was not flown FPV. This was line of sight piloting.

(2) The direct hit to the head did no real harm (minor cut), so some could say it was not a dangerous thing. I've seen worse cuts from flag football. :)

Everyone wants to be noticed nowadays which is why YouTube has endless videos showing stupid humans. Hopefully Darwin's principles kick-in to help balance the gene pool.

• Like 1

Yes your right it was not FPV but the general public just see a multi and the comment I hear after seeing my quad is oh I saw a video of one crashing the other day, they are dangerous aren't they!

So yes your right again the fact that they feel the need to post them everywhere is not good.

More luck than anything that one of the props didnt hit one of them in the eye. The mass production of quads flown by those with no rc background together with the fact they are more often than not flown in close proximity to people IMO means we will only see more incidence.

Also multi rotors seem to be far less safe the fixed wing aircraft. I feel more than happy to fly over roof tops with my TS2 but my NAZA quad is another matter. A battery going flat or any minor glitch often means a multi will pile in but with a fixed wing you just turn round and land in a safe place. The potential for a bad connection is also so much higher with a multi and often the reason for a crash is never known.

I guess what Im trying to say is that I wish more people understood more about a multi and didnt push their luck!

Terry

Video venues like YouTube and reality TV have allowed dangerously stupid acts to be socially acceptable. From what I can see, shame has been replaced with fame.

In regards to FPV and the public's perception of it, my solution is to be a good steward of the hobby and promote it in a positive way. Fortunately others feel the same way, so all is not lost. But the idiots get a lot of press, so perhaps it is best to just ignore them so that they get less attention and find another hobby to disrupt.

I wonder why no one has come out with a rigid prop guard for multi yet. It should not be so hard to make one. Many micro/mini quad already have it.

Edited by kaos

I guess its because safety is not high on the list.,flight time and cost seem to win out.

Im also surprised that the bigger multi rotors that carry DSLR's dont have a parachute system. I know at very low level it would not work but I would have thought it worth having. With some effort Im sure it could be a winner, maybe a system that blows it open like an airbag?

Terry

yep, use a compressed Helium cartridge and blow into a 'balloon' it actually can float and save the multi/DSLR at low altitude. ;)

There are parachute systems that work well on the market, pretty neat and lightweight too. Some use them.

Prop guard is only good if you nicely come from the side where it is and not too hard not to break it. Won't be of much use anytime the machine is above you or when it falls out of the sky. I guess the take is why carry one and put up with it if it's only gonna potentially help in a minority of cases.

do you have a link to such parachute system? I am curious about how they deal with the still rotating props when it comes out.

wow, Euro has a strange way of putting ',' in the numbers. I thought it was twenty four thousand and 900 euros. ;) Any way, I need use some thousand dollars video/photography equipment 1st to use this. ;)

I think that is cheating. they turned off the motor at or before deploying the parachute. :P what if you can't turn off the motor, the lines will be tangled/cut with rotors. If I still can control the multi the chances of it falling down is low.

Hmm, may be an emergency switch can be programed to turn off motor then deploy the chute. if we lose signal, the fail safe can be programmed to turn off the motor and deploy the chute, I guess.

A chute still need some height to deploy. they really did not specify what is the height needed to deploy the chute. A compressed Helium cartridge can be deployed very fast for lower height recovery I think.