I'm always on the lookout for lighweight, high-quality digital cams for RC work. The other day I bought a Mobius ActionCam ( Mobius ActionCam ) and the quality is good, although there is bit more barrel lens distortion than I like.

What can we use to activate the shutter on this camera? I don't think that there is a way to reach into the USB port to do this. I'm thinking something on the order of a Shutterbug wired in to trip the shutter switch.

What light and reliable connectors are available for the camera->Shutterbug connection? My (ludditic) first thought is a pair of JST connectors. Or maybe the small inline connectors used with some LED lighting systems (or micro/nano servos), but I don't know how those would fare under long-term use.

Still working on a couple of 350- and 500-size quadcopters, and am enjoying the new challenge...

--Bill

Any easy to find connector is what I suggest. For things like this I typically use standard servo cables with lightweight 28-32AWG wires.

"Readily available" is why I thought of JST first. My LHS even has DYI connectors and shells for JST. And once you have access to the camera switch the shutter can be tripped by any of several "RC switches" on the market or that standby, the Shutterbug.

--Bill

A JST/BEC power plug would work fine to connect your digital camera to the ShutterBug. But power connectors are not my usual choice for general purpose use because there's a chance that I might get careless and accidentally install a battery where it does not belong. A servo plug does not eliminate that kind of mistake, but the results when it happens are usually less spectactular. :)

I mark plugs with different coloured heat shrink bands to avoid plugging in the wrong place.

Terry