Sign in to follow this  
GerryL

PIC programming error?

Hi! I am attempting to put together the Aiptek camera/PIC project, and have burned my 1st PIC; I got an error though. Here's my info:

PIC 12C508A

programmer DIY 149B (from kitsrus.com)

I loaded cm_Av12.hex

then set 4 fuse bytes as directed

Clicked 'Program'

It appeared to do what it's supposed to, but then I got an error

"ROM programming error @ address 0x01FF"

(this was not a result of clicking on 'verify')

Can anyone tell me what this might mean? I can't try the PIC yet as I am waiting for the camera that I got on eBay.

Thanks!

-Gerry

Oh, I am using MicroPro software that came with the DIY pack.

Edited by GerryL

Location 0x01FFh contains the PIC12C508's factory entered oscillator calibration constant. Your programmer must NOT write to that location. If altered, the CamMan PIC will not work correctly or will have odd R/C stick thresholds.

Your programmer should have a feature to prevent writes to this special address.

My software has a setting available for this chip called OSCAL, which is oscillator calibration; it defaults to OCFF, which is where I left it.

Is this what you are referring to?

-Gerry

OK, I did some research and found out that there was some OSCAL issue with early versions of my programmer software. Today I upgraded the PIC on my programmer and upgraded to the latest software. Now when I go to program a 508A I am asked if I want to use the calibration data on the chip or the data in the file. From what you said earlier, I assume I should use the info on the chip and have that put in the aiptek program. Does that sound correct? Thanks!

-Gerry

P.S. Awesome site and info you've got here! I am enjoying all the reading! :-)

You must not over-write the PIC12C508's OSCAL value. Do not let your programmer write to it or the factory value will be destroyed.

:D It works! :D

Tonight I had the time to wire my chip into the camera. Hoo-boy, it is small in there. I am going with standard AAA power, so I was all the way in for the 'G' connection. I left all leads long to be able to test things out and troubleshoot; well there was no trouble to shoot! It worked first time out. I'm a happy camper now! I still have to shorten up all the leads and fit it back together, but I am going to save that for another night. Thanks for such fun and interesting projects...Nav lights next!

-Gerry