Sign in to follow this  
fubar-one

Aiptek still snores!

Hi!

Did the Camman mods to one of my Aiptek mini 1.3 cams and it works great except that it does the auto shut off bit if I make no input for a while, minute or so?

I wired it up using the USB power connections and I am positive everything is connected correctly but I cant figure why it goes to sleep.

Any suggestions?

I am using channel 4 (rudder) with my GWS slowstick to operate it, GWS rx also.

I am hoping it is a setting thing I can do without taking that sucker apart again! :blink:

Which exact camera do you have? Are you sure it is getting its power from the USB port and not from its battery input?

On the Aiptek Mega and Mini PenCam 1.3, the sleep mode is disabled merely by applying power to the USB connector. It shouldn't go to sleep if clean 5VDC power is applied. Other Aiptek camera models may require use of the CamMan wakeup feature.

Its the Aiptek 1.3 mega cam, the same one you show on the mods page. I am getting the power to the camera thru the 1st pin and shield on the USB jack as instructed on the mods page.

Pins 1 and 5 are shorted on the PIC and everything else is connected properly.

Looks like I will have to open it back up and re-check everything. :huh:

Man, that 30 gauge wire is fun to work with...

With the camera off (no batteries installed), does plugging the camera into the R/C Rx automatically turn on? It should. If not, the USB port wiring is suspect.

On your camera, sleep in not likely if the power is coming from the USB input.

When I plug in the flight battery, the camera comes on. Plugged into the USB on my puter the camera stays on. Moving the rudder stick full right then full left arms the camera then full left fires it.

With no input, the camera shuts back off after whatever the default time is before modifications.

I am going to use a different speed controller. I know the one I am using is not up to the demands of the speed 400 motor and the 8 cell 600AE pack I am using.

I thought maybe the voltage was dropping there but the camera also shut down when the plane was live but static, motor off. This was after the flight so I suppose that could be the problem, now that I think back on it.

Guess I need to screw with it some more but it sounds like the wiring is correct. :blink:

With USB power the camera is not suppose to go to sleep. Something odd is going on. Either your camera is goofy, or Aiptek has recently changed the design. I have not heard of any other reports of this issue, so that may hint that yours is unique.

If you cannot resolve the problem, then you can always connect the extra two PIC signals that provide the special wakeup feature.

FYI:

I've had an intermittent problem with my Pencam SD intermittently shutting down and turning back on. At first I thought was a bad servo plug, replaced it and it quit acting up. Started in again this weekend.

I popped the camera apart and gently tugged at the wires. Turned out it was a cold soldering joint on the wire to the USB +connection at the plug. Visually it looked OK, but it wern't.

Have a great New Year!

--Bill