Mr.RC-Cam

WiFiBroadCast : DiY FPV Video System with HDMI Video

Ok well I tried to read the threads translated with Google .

I say tried because much of it translated so poorly I could not make much sense of it.

Most Chinese instruction manuals are easier to understand.

I tried to follow his instructions. I believe the tx stuff was ok but the with the rx  build I got an error saying the command is no longer supported.

It is a shame no one has posted some "dumb down " instructions.     BTW that term is so appropriate.

I am sure many are wishing to build this set up but the linux and cryptic language is a killer.

I borrowed a pretty good linux video course covering the command line but it is so boring... 

I would send the guy $20 in paypay in a heartbeat for a current IMG file.. I have wasted a lot of time so far.

I'll keep snooping around ...   Maybe even get lucky..

Did you see the Oct 10 post by Schalonsus? He explains that his instructions are for an earlier configuration. So try again using his Oct 10 information.

Generally speaking, wasting time getting things to work is common in DIY projects like this one. A $20 donation for working image files from the developer sounds reasonable. But learning how to build your own would be ideal since the code will continue to evolve. Teach a man to fish ...

I got it to work....  after getting a bit more info i was able to successfully build the 2 image files. 

There are about 20 lines of entry for each the transmitter file and the receiver file.

It takes an hour or so  to program each card 

the image files once downloaded would take maybe 5 min each to load.  

I made my image files on a 8gb micro sd card. Even though the actual data is under 4gb once it is written to a 8gb card the new file size is 8gb.  

No a big deal except when trying to distribute these files  on the internet.  16gb for both is a lot.

If anyone is interested  I could write up the procedures here.

Step by Step instructions for the RPI HD WiFi  Video System

I hope this helps someone get their HD FPV system running. Right now its on 2.4g only.

It was written for those unfamiliar with the raspberry pi  and Linux

Here we go.............

Hardware required 

PARTS LIST:

Video Rx: 
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B 1GB
8GB micro SD card
TP-Link TL-WN722N Wireless USB adapter

Video Tx:
Raspberry Pi Model A+ 256MB
8GB micro SD card
TP-Link TL-WN722N Wireless USB adapter

RPI Camera

In addition you will need two 5vdc power supplies 

An internet connection with a ethernet connector to hook up the RPI (raspberry pi) to the internet.

A keyboard, a mouse and a monitor with HDMI inputs

The 5volts is supplied to the RPI either via a micro usb cable or  soldering wires on to pins or using the the male servo connector found on typical BEC boards .

First download this SD Formatter 4.0 for Windows and Mac..     https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Use this to format you sd cards for the RPI before running noobs.

Next you need to down load the Linux for RPI.  This program is called NOOB and its easy to install.

Download the zip file at   https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

You can unzip the file directly to your sd card  with  winrar..

You will need to do this for both cards.

All programing will be done with RPI 2 B board since it has the necessary usb/nic connections.

*********************************************************************************************

Installing  linux with the noobs sd card

Stick a noobs sd card into a RPI 2b board. You will need to have a keyboard/mouse/monitor/ethernet/TL-WN722N Wireless USB adapter hooked up..

Power the board up and NOOBS will autoexecute .

At the bottom of the screen select US language and make sure US keyboard shows up

IN the box select  Raspbian   then click install..

This installs the operating system and will take about half an hour..

*******************************************************************************************

******************************************************************************************

When the install completes  a small window pops up notifying you to its success.

Clicking on this should bring up your new desktop........

This is called the graphical user interface (GUI)  kinda looks like windows.

Next we need to bring up the Terminal program .

This archaic looking program reminds me of old DOS from 30 years ago.

Unfortunately we must use it to get our RPI's working and in the end its not all that bad ..

From now on everything we do will be via the terminal program.

There are 2 options for bringing  up the Terminal.

Option 1.   from the GUI  the fourth icon from the left is a black square that actually represents a terminal monitor.

Clicking on this will bring up the terminal. 

You  should now have a black window with the prompt  pi@raspberrypi - $ .

We will type our  commands after the prompt.

If the font is too small for you ......click on edit / preferences. 

Under the style tab you can increase the font to 17  ...  OK it.

Option 2:  The terminal program is also available under Menu / accessories / terminal 

....................................................................................................................

Were ready to start the good stuff. 

This will build the Transmitter image file......

Make sure the camera  and WIFI stick is attached.

First we need to check the config file.

Bring up the terminal and type in these commands. (spaces and case sensitivity count)

pi@raspberrypi - $ cd /usr/bin

pi@raspberrypi - $ sudo ./raspi-config

You should now have the config screenraspi-config.png

Use the arrow keys to navigate this menu.

Hit enter  on the first line to expand the file system  (most likely this has already been done by the NOOBS install.

Next arrow down to enable camera / select it / enable it.

Arrow down to finish.

Ok the reboot

...........................................................................................................

finally type in the cd  command... This completes the configuration modifications.

pi@raspberrypi - $ cd 

********************************************************************************************

The following are the necessary commands to type in.

the prompt is not shown below but will appear on your terminal.

You must be hooked up to the internet.

Commands are case sensitive.  The fonts vary because I used copy and past from several web pages. 

This was done to avoid typos.

Some commands may take up to a minute to complete and require you to respond with a "y"  and enter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sudo $HOME

sudo apt-get install mercurial
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/befi/wifibroadcast
sudo cp wifibroadcast/patches/AR9271/firmware/htc_9271.fw /lib/firmware
sudo apt-get install libpcap-dev iw
cd wifibroadcast
make

cd $HOME/wifibroadcast

cd
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/befi/wifibroadcast_fpv_scripts          
cd wifibroadcast_fpv_scripts
cd init.d
sudo cp wbctxd /etc/init.d
sudo update-rc.d wbctxd start
cd

FYI  The | character is located at "shift back slash "

This completes the Transmitter image !!

Reboot the board and the green light should be blinking  on the WIFI stick after a few seconds.

BTW      the GUI  does not show any program status.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Now we will build the receiver image

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

We will be using the same RPI hardware set up used for the transmitter

Remove the camera cable as the camera is not used to receive

First remove the sd card that contains the transmitter files.

You might want to mark it so as to not mix it up with the receiver card later on.

Insert the sd card containing a fresh copy of NOOBS.

Power on the RPI which will auto execute.

Again make sure you select US english and the US keyboard..

Select Raspian from the main box and click install. its about a 30 min install..

When the install completes  a small window pops up notifying you to its success.

Clicking on this should bring up your new desktop........

This is called the graphical user interface (GUI)  kinda looks like windows.

Next we need to bring up the Terminal program .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the GUI  the fourth icon from the left is a black square that actually represents a terminal monitor.

Clicking on this will bring up the terminal. 

You  should now have a black window with the prompt  pi@raspberrypi - $ .

We will type our  commands after the prompt.

If the font is too small for you ......click on edit / preferences. 

First we need to check the config file.

Bring up the terminal and type in these commands. (spaces and case sensitivity count)

pi@raspberrypi - $ cd /usr/bin

pi@raspberrypi - $ sudo ./raspi-config

You should now have the config screenraspi-config.png

Use the arrow keys to navigate this menu.

Hit enter  on the first line to expand the file system  (most likely this has already been done by the NOOBS install.

Next arrow down to  advanced options

enable ssh

Arrow down to finish.

OK the reboot.

...........................................................................................................

finally type in the cd  command... This completes the configuration modifications.

pi@raspberrypi - cd 

********************************************************************************************

The following are the necessary commands to type in.

the prompt is not shown below but will appear on your terminal.

You must be hooked up to the internet.

Commands are case sensitive.  The fonts vary because I used copy and past from several web pages. 

This was done to avoid typos.

Some commands may take up to a minute to complete and require you to respond with a "y"  and enter.

sudo cd $HOME

sudo apt-get install mercurial libpcap-dev iw
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/befi/wifibroadcast
cd wifibroadcast
make
cd $HOME
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/befi/hello_video
cp hello_video/video.c /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_video
cd /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/
./rebuild.sh

cd
cd wifibroadcast_fpv_scripts
cd init.d
sudo cp wbcrxd /etc/init.d
sudo update-rc.d wbcrxd start
cd

THATS IT !!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE RPI's should auto execute  

On the wifi sticks solid green led indicates its initialized  green blinking led's means it transmitting or receiving data..

I use the smaller lighter RPI A+ for the transmitter

And the bigger RPI 2B for receiving

Good luck..

Edited by Tom in Cincy
deleted stuff
  • Like 2

Thank You for documenting the image building procedure. Wifibroadcast newbies will no doubt find it a useful resource.

I have this system working on 5.8 ghz now.

If anyone is interested I will add the necessary instructions.

They do require you to purchase the TL 3200 dual band dongles 

I am willing to post the IMG files if someone knows of a place to host them

Right now we are talking about 16gb total.

I believe they can be reduced to less than half that size if I knew how to compress them.

Still 7 gb is a lot :wacko:

Yes, please add the instruction for 5.8GHz. Posting the image files would be good too. You can upload them to your rcgroups blog area, then add a link in your discussion here to your rcgroups blog area.

Hi Thomas. RC Groups is not going to allow me to store the  *.img  files.  These guys are like 8gb each.  They make this project  plug and play  for most users.

I have a web site account  with a provider but not sure  if I can run a FTP site there.  .

I'm having a problem with my post above. There are couple of instructions which have a http:// which this forum is underscoring them as a web link.

The worse part of it is some of them actually have an underscore in the address already.

How can I make the forum stop doing this??

RC Groups is not going to allow me to store the  *.img  files

If you zip each image will rcgroups accept it?

I'm having a problem with my post above. There are couple of instructions which have a http:// which this forum is underscoring them as a web link.

To avoid the auto HTML url formatting you can enter the plain text as CODE. It's the <> icon on the editor menu. Like this:

Darn, wish I hadn't dropped by - this is a real interesting project and I love the little Pi's (3 running at my place so far), but I just don't have any spare time at the moment !

Watching with interest....

Nigel.

... this is a real interesting project and I love the little Pi's (3 running at my place so far), but I just don't have any spare time at the moment !

Finding spare time for building hobby stuff is a problem for most of us. But passion usually overcomes the obstacles. :)

I'm expecting to get back on this project around the holidays. In anticipation of that, today I ordered the official 7-in RPI TFT display from Newark.com. It's a new product and unfortunately on back order; Fingers are crossed it shows up this month.

http://raspi.tv/2015/new-official-raspberry-pi-dsi-screen-launches

The latest RPI kernel has drivers for the display. It connects to the DSI connector, so the HDMI port is still available for Hi-Res goggles or a monitor.

There's been some buzz about successfully getting 2.3GHz to work. If I it is compatible with the TP-LINK TL-WN722N WiFi dongles I bought then I will test to see if my 2.4GHz FrSky R/C system plays nice with it. Otherwise I'll have to abandon the 2.4GHz TP-Links and move to 5.8GHz.

@Tom in Cincy: Here's some suggested corrections to your helpful instructions:

1. This text:

sudo $HOME

Should be:

cd $HOME

2. The manually entered WiFiBroadcast parameters can be eliminated because they are duplicates to what is already in the startup scripts. Remove as follows:

Delete this text block in the Tx section:

cd $HOME/wifibroadcast
sudo killall ifplugd 
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo iw dev wlan0 set monitor otherbss fcsfail
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel 13
raspivid -ih -t 0 -w 1280 -h 720 -fps 30 -b 4000000 -n -g 60 -pf high -o – | sudo ./tx -b 8 -r 4 -f 1024 wlan0

Delete this text block in the Rx section:

cd $HOME/wifibroadcast
sudo killall ifplugd #stop management of interface
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo iw dev wlan0 set monitor otherbss fcsfail
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel 13
sudo ./rx -b 8 -r 4 -f 1024 wlan0 | /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_video/hello_video.bin

OK i did the deletes  .

Actually with all the published image files (plug and play files)  there is no reason for typing any of this in.

But then it seemed the pre made files were not being published .  

Things are simpler now...  :mellow: 

Glad to hear that things are getting simpler. Pre-made images are just what this project needs.

Sorry to dig up an old (ish) thread (I have dug up older :) ), but I signed up especially, just to thank the contributors to this thread. I have been looking for something like this for a long time for a project I am working on.

I have a few questions if possible.

1. Am I correct in thinking that there are two types of wifi and that this type wont interfer with RF signals from other racers equipment?

2. Is this the same system that Parrot use in their BeBop and their soon to be released Sexy Disco?

3. If I am just using this for FPV racing on a short track, would I better getting the 5GHz for the better image quality?

4. The most imprtant question, Is the latency low enough for racing ? Does'nt matter if not as I am using the system for something else racing related.

5. What is the total weight of the TX end of the system to be added to the drone?

Thanks for your help and well done in getting that step closer to 4K flying (That would be so awesome)

1. At the present time the WiFi adapters are operated in a special mode that uses a single RF channel. So it cannot avoid interference from other racers that are on the same channel.

2. Not the same; There are no commercial implementations at this time. And due to the FCC restrictions this technology will not be suitable for consumer applications (perfectly fine for amateur radio).

3. Image quality will be the same on 2G4 or 5G8.

4. Latency is expected to be an issue for racing, at least for a racing mortal. Racing gods excluded.

5. Depends on how you build it. Could be as little as 100g if you are careful.

At the present time this project is NOT for FPV racing. For the latest information please check the big discussion at rcgoups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2454052

• Like 1

Thank you for the info.

Is the link supplied the place to go for updates? Is this thread no longer updated?

I was going to use the device to stream the image the pilot sees on to several large LED spectator screens, so wouldnt be used for racing as such, though I may put it on my 450 for exploring :)

One more question. Is it possible to have 4 racers with this device on showing 4 seperate video feeds or will this just create a huge black hole that we will all get sucked in to?

Again, thanks for a kick in the right direction.

Is the link supplied the place to go for updates? Is this thread no longer updated?

Discussion has been quiet here. But other forums have attracted some activity on the project. Besides the developer's site, I suggest you digest the information at rcgroups. Then check the other forums mentioned there too.

Is it possible to have 4 racers with this device on showing 4 seperate video feeds

That would be possible, but I have not heard of anyone doing it. So expect to blaze your own trail in setting this up.

• Like 1

hey there,

very cool project! Did you already do a range test with it? With and without obstacles in the way? Im very interested in this and i would love to know more about it. Also i'm thinking about running it on 2.4 ghz or a 5.8 ghz. I guess 5.8 ghz will decrease the range a bit. Is that true?

Thank you! Very cool discussion :)

I haven't taken the time to do a thorough range test with my configuration. FWIW, the WiFi adapters I selected are low power (and not expected to provide longest range). If longest range is a priority then check the developer's site for WiFi adapter recommendations.

The range would be less on a 5.8GHz system (versus 2.4). But do not use 2.4GHz if your R/C system is also on 2.4G.

Good supplemental for main befinitiv instructions.

If anyone can assist with steps on setting up RX on a regular Linux (Ubuntu) machine, not a RPi, I'd be grateful!   I will have the TPLink stick in the USB port.  Linux novice here.

There are comments at the developer's blog from users that successfully configured ubuntu with gstreamer and/or mplayer. So go back through the discussions there and try to piece together the steps to do it.

FWIW: Unfortunately this project is not friendly to Linux novices (I'm in that camp). This issue remains the weakest link in this otherwise fantastic project.