Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Soong

A few newby questions

I am very interested in what this site has to offer. It seems that using this site as a guide it isn't too difficult build a RC-CAM copter. However, I am completely new to RC aviation and I don't know what helicopter to buy. I was looking at the Hirobo Sceadu Evolution .30 for starters. The kit is about $300. Is that a good deal? What else will I have to buy, besides a radio? Will it hold a camera? Like I said, I am completely new to this hobby so I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions.

Also, would it be possible to have two cameras on a helicopter and hack a program to let you see in 3D? :huh:

Thanks in advance! B)

I've flown electric planes - but have no idea about helicopters. I'd like to be able to generate DVDs off the images I take with a heli-cam. I also need the heli to be electric as I do not have a garage and don't want the risk of fuel in the house.

Any one have ideas/articles/suggestings of how to get started?

If you are new to the hobby then I suggest that you NOT start out with an R/C helicopter. The learning curve is 10 times longer than learning to fly a basic model airplane. If a new comer is expecting to fly coordinated circuits in the air, while snapping carefully framed photos, then he/she will be in for a grave disappointment. That sort of skill takes serious amounts training.

Instead, I suggest entry level RC'ers start with a simple electric park flyer model airplane. The most popular is a GSW SlowStick (budget $100 for the airplane kit, batteries, and charger). You can certainly fly it with an R/C system that is also capable of controlling helicopters, so your radio purchase can be reused when you move on to helicopters.

Small electric models like the SlowStick will help you learn about R/C principals. They can also haul an amazing amount of payload (video gear, cameras, telemetry, etc.) with as little effort as upgrading the electric motor and batteries. For example, my MAHI project is being tested on a SlowStick and it has a lot of goodies mounted on it.

For those that are ready to try an R/C heli then I suggest you ask the local hobby store where all the local pilots fly. Then visit the site, ask a lot of questions, and try to arrange for a compatible personality to help you with the hover training (expect this to take several weeks).

Assuming you are not talking about those little micro sized indoor helicopters, the decision to use nitro or electric powered heli's is basically a personal one. The electric technology is advanced to the point that the two models can have similar performance. Keep in mind that the electric heli's will cost a bit more to start out (a modern Hi-capacity heli battery pack alone is $250 to $400).

Once you advance to forward flight, the heli will fly like a aileron controlled model airplane. That is why it is helpful to have flown R/C airplanes.

Just my opinion, of course.