The_Imperium

Help required for Long range NLoS video link for my ground rover

Hey Guys,

Me and my team are participating in a ground rover competition. I am taking care of the rover's communication system and I am new this stuff. We have to achieve a reliable wireless video link through the hills. Our rover will trace a path of 3KM radius in any direction from the point marked in the image. The communication is NLoS. However, At the competition we are given different tasks to complete. In all of these tasks we would be getting 50% LoS and 50% NLoS. There is one task in the competition where LoS is guaranteed but the rover has to operate in a wide area near the ground station. 

The obstacles that hide LoS are huge pound of sand or rocks.

I will be able to mount the antennas higher but even then LoS will not possible in few to many places.

So, We have to design a system that will work well in both LoS and NLoS, short and long range.

Will I require a different setup for Long Range and short range? If yes, advice on both setup.
If I should have different setup for long and short range, does that mean that I will not be able to communicate to the rover if it is near to the ground station using the long range setup?

The vision system of the rover will be having a maximum of 6 cameras. We will need GPS on the rover. 

Please provide your suggestions for the following now:
1. The frequency I should Operate
2.Power
3.Antennas,Antenna types and antenna gain
4.Will I need a multi antenna setup? If yes, guide me
5. Vtx, Vrx
6. Cameras that I should use
7. Video viewing device(Monitor)
8.A good RC Control (that can go through the hills)
9.GPS 
10. Any other gear.

We will be sitting inside a closed room. The antennas and receivers can be placed outside but the monitor should be placed inside the room. Can I use cables to connect the monitor to the receiver? Also, RC can also be operated only from inside the room.

Thanks

Imperium

PS: I have attached the image of the competition site. If the image is not clear, you can search Google Earth for "Mars Desert Research Oraganization, Utah, Hanksville"5003267400_1450256483.jpg

This is a huge task and you will need to do months of testing. You will also need to make a lot of stuff yourself as very little will be suitable off the shelf.

I made a rover to drive around some local fields a few years back while sitting in my front room about 1000m away. I found the only reliable way to do this was to use a mast in the field relaying the control and video back to my front room. 

Terry