chris.kirkman

Fitting CamMan to my plane

Having eventually successfully completed modifying an Aiptek camera (after numerous PIC programming problems) I am now after some advice on how to mount it to the plane.

I tried simply wrapping it in foam and strapping it under the plane but results left much to be desired due to vibration. Next attempt with it much slacker was no better.

There are severe "waves" across all the images. This is clearly down to vibration but I'm not sure how I can mount the camera so that vibration is minimised or is it that I'm expecting too much in wanting decent pictures taking them when the engine is running around half throttle.

I've tried attaching an example picture but not sure if I've done it properly.

Any help appreciated.

Chris Kirkman

post-7-1090270229_thumb.jpg

Chris, I had a few like that too. I have also seen it in other's photos. I made a crude cardboard box mount and had a 3/8" layer of foam around the camera. The 'box' had dowels going through it inorder to rubber band around the wing. It was crude but worked for a quick test. A lot of guys go electric I think. I found it best to climb up and then reduce power to idle, then take pics while gliding down. High rpm runs gave me the 'wave'. :-) Good luck & have fun!

-Gerry

Chris, I was thinking some more...(uh-oh) and since no one else has replied yet, I'll add two more cents. I'd suggest checking everything firewall forward; is the engine and mount tight? Prop well balanced? And I've read that some people have less problem with a solid mount, but I haven't gone there yet. I like to cushion it a bit myself. Your photo is neat though, kind of like abstract art. Here's one of my waves from the weekend.

-Gerry

post-7-1090356104_thumb.jpg

Gerry,

Thanks once more for replying.

I've been giving it some more thought myself and along the same lines as yourself. I think it's probably better to try and do something about the vibration at source rather than just combat it's effects.

Will be checking the prop balance but also want to try anti-vibration engine mounts. I've got the engine on a solid mount and fixed directly to the firewall. There are some engine mounts which are supposed to give a significant reduction to vibration so I'm looking around for one at the moment.

I'll let you know though it may be some time.

Chris