Mr.RC-Cam

HeadPlay HD Goggle Upgrade: Add 5.8GHz Diversity & DVR

I received my printed parts today and want to let Hippy and Kingdon know that for my buffer circuit board to fit the case the switch hole will need to be elongated  about 1/4" toward the bottom. If this is an issue I will refund your money. Thanks, Mark

@luckyflyer I would like to upgrade my headplays with this diversity/dvr mod using your circuits. But, I have a few questions:

The newer, red, board. Does it have all of the components installed? Do I still need to buy and solder the components in myself? I'm not HIGHLY skilled, but I can solder a few components.

You say the new board does not have the video monitor option. Does that mean I will see latency when I enable the DVR, or just that I can't output to an external monitor. Can I still monitor the live signal while the DVR is recording?

Edited by jdoyle

Jdoyle, The red board is a bare board, I provide a bom with Mouser P/N's. I would say that who ever populates this board need to be highly skilled with a soldering iron and have a steady hand and good eyesight or a good magnifier. I've been derailed on finishing up on my Headplay se's for a few days so I can't completely confirm but it is my understanding that the only difference is that there is no output to an external monitor. Mr RC-Cam would be better suited to answer those questions

@luckyflyer Thanks for the info. I still want one. I have soldered small components in the past, but never this many. However, I up to the challenge. I will send you a PayPal payment today.

I'm having the 3D parts printed today. I know that the switch hole will need to be elongated. That is not a problem.

Progress on the Headplay SE diversity mod. The cover is populated, wired and ready for install onto the Headplays.  The rolled red wires are connections not used on the recorder.  I was not able to use the header and plug on the receiver because of interference with the recorder bracket so I hard wired it.  And it turns out that the push button hole on the side does not need to be elongated, it was a perfect fit.

P1020661.JPG

Edited by luckyflyer
  • Like 1

Today I managed to finish up on the Headplay diversity mod. The final assembly was pretty easy. I did need to make a small relief in the foam for the 2 470 uf capacitors on the buffer board, they were pressing on the foam  more than I comfortable with. Also the foam needs to be relieved on the inside for the bracket the 5 mounting screws go into and because of the length of the 4 front mounting screws a pretty hefty press is needed to start them into the brass inserts. The top one is no problem and some of the screw protrudes through the insert and requires cutting. I'm seeing a small amount of power supply switching noise in the video from the 5v regulator on the RX5808 receiver, its not bad but I may try to address that with some additional filtering at a later date. Everything powered up and worked as it should on the first application of power, I would say however that this is not a project for beginners. The one question I can't answer though is why couldn't Range video put a good diversity receiver in from the gitgo, anyway I now have a more robust video link to my quad. Thanks for the nice mod Mr RC-Cam!

P1020662.JPG

P1020667.JPG

P1020668.JPG

hello, first of all this is a great reference, more people should see it. i came across this while looking up a way to do this same mod with a furious FPV True D on a pair of skyzone SJ-V01 which is some what of a clone of the Head plays. the two models appear to be similar in a few ways, but the reason for the purchase of the SJ-V01 is they had a diversity receiver as opposed to the single receiver in the head plays. I wonder if i posted some pictures, would you be willing to give me some guidance if you can?

Right now i have the True D powering up on a five volt signal and all the wiring appears to be good in that regard. the thing i am stuck on is the monitor. the monitor in the goggles is the INNOLUX HJ070IA-02F. i dont care about the receiver board in the SJ-V01s since the True D will replace it. I just need to figure out the wiring to the monitor to display the video signal. unfortunately for me, the wires are all the same color, black.i think i have found the power source to the monitor, it is either a 3.3v or 9 v. while i am awaiting on some steppers, i used a PDB from Matek to step the voltage down to the 5v i needed to power the True D. i currently and just getting what looks like a color pattern test when the monitor gets powered on where it is testing large squares of the color range in a video screen. the screen will come one with either a 9v source or a 3.3v source and displays the same color test when powered.

Also for @luckyflyer would his board do me any good? i can get the case three d printed by a friend, the idea of the buffer board seems logical and may apply in my case as well. any help would be greatly appreciated as i think this would also be a useful post to sidecar off the head play post. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Thor

I don't know why you have not received yours it was mailed in a white business sized envelope, I will mail you another one tomorrow. I will mail to the address  you gave me in the pm which is the address I mailed the first one to.

Thanks,

Mark

hello, first of all this is a great reference, more people should see it. i came across this while looking up a way to do this same mod with a furious FPV True D on a pair of skyzone SJ-V01 which is some what of a clone of the Head plays. the two models appear to be similar in a few ways, but the reason for the purchase of the SJ-V01 is they had a diversity receiver as opposed to the single receiver in the head plays. I wonder if i posted some pictures, would you be willing to give me some guidance if you can?

Happy to help.  But please create a new/separate topic specifically for your SJ-V01 goggle project.  Be sure to include close up photos of the boards and all the details to what you have done so far. This will give everyone a chance to see what you got and determine if they can offer any advice.

7 hours ago, Mr.RC-Cam said:

Happy to help.  But please create a new/separate topic specifically for your SJ-V01 goggle project.  Be sure to include close up photos of the boards and all the details to what you have done so far. This will give everyone a chance to see what you got and determine if they can offer any advice.

Thanks A LOT!! i will assemble the pictures and make a new post after work today. hopefully collectively we can all figure this out. @Mr.RC-Cam

hello all i started a new thread here 

for the Skyzone SJ-V01 goggle upgrade. thanks again for looking at this. i know a lot of people are trying to figure this out, so hopefully i can drive some traffic back to this post as i mentioned it in my post.

luckyflyerare you still making these buffer boards? also do i understand it, a buffer board for a V1 headplay is different from a Headplay SE V2? my SJ-V01 Mod didnt go as well as i expected, so i got my hands on two headplays, one a V1 and the other an SE V2 model. please let me know and thanks in advance. i'd be interested in both if thats what i would have to get. i do need a DVR option. 

Edited by TheMightyThor

Thor,

Sorry for the late reply, been sick. I offer a bare buffer circuit board and a bill of materials list with Mouser p/n's and a schematic . To populate the circuit board requires advanced soldering skills The information needed to complete the mod is contained in the thread. I modded the SE version Headplays, I can't say for sure but I don't think there is much difference between the v1 and v2 Headplays from a modding standpoint. Paypal me $4.75 and I'll send you a board with the documentation. pp is luckyflyer@valornet.com

Edited by luckyflyer

Hi Mr.RC-Cam, First of all i would like to thank you for posting your modd here.Great work!!I would like to mod my Headplay HD goggles too.Does anyone have a good source to get the parts printed in good quality?

@luckyflyer  :Could you please send me one board.I am going to paypal you $4.75.Thanks

Can it really be this easy to change HeadPlay SE goggles to True D? Its almost a Match save for a few wires?

I agree, they made it very convenient.

Does anyone have a good source to get the parts printed in good quality?

I can't help you with that since I do my own printing. But if you use a print service then please report how you liked it. BTW, some community libraries have 3D printers and experts are on-hand to help get you going.