Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry

Lost Drones

3 posts in this topic

I have been amazed at how many drones have been reported lost over the last couple of days on social media. It seems children push the throttle open when things look bad and their self stabilising nature means they get carried by the wind for a fair distance before they go out of radio range and drop to the ground. I expect to see a lot of controllers on ebay soon which will be just the ticket for anyone who has found a drone. lol

Terry

Yesterday (day after Christmas) I was on a walk though the neighborhood. In the front yard of a house, up at the top of an oak tree, I saw a new fixed wing foamy about the size of an EasyStar. Stuck for good. Probably a Christmas morning flight by a dad & his kid that did not realize how much space was needed to fly a model airplane.

Bummer Christmas for those with flyaway drones and tree'd airplanes.

Unfortunately the marketing and general hype have fuelled a massive rush to make them the must have item this Christmas. Every shop seems to stock them with assistants that dont know the first ting about them. I was in my local camera shop the other day and commented to the manager about the DJI Phantom he had in his window and he told me straight that he didnt know the first thing about it. I know of parents that have got them for young children having been told they are easy to fly and they would soon get the hang of it. One Facebook mum has posted that her 14 year old son has lost his camera drone on the first flight and he is in the dog house until he finds it as it cost so much. Its is a sad mess....

Terry